Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground blind vs short ladder stand

dkelley

I am seeing the most activity at my farm right now in a late planted bean field in between a wetlands area and a timber that is not my property. I have a limited selection of trees on my property that borders the timber. The best I could do was to take the bottom 4 ft off a 16 foot ladder stand and put it up in a smaller tree. It blends in well to the background of the timber to the north of my property. After getting it put up I am wondering if I would be better off in a ground blind. It would blend in well against the timber to the north or the willows bordering the wetlands. For some reason I feel like I have a better chance during bow season up in a tree than in my ground blind. This will be my second season with my bow and just looking for some more experienced ideas.

Here is the look from where I recently had a trailcam where I have put the 12' ladder stand.

9180-sunp0042.jpg

Those beans can get awefully tall when you're hunting the ground... Personally, I'd opt for the stand. But if your beans got put in late, maybe they won't be tall enough to disrupt vision or a shot.

I like a stand if it has good cover. Mainly because I feel since you can see better farther, you will have more time to judge the deer that are coming towards you. Ground blinds seem like they are all the sudden on top of you and you have to make a quick judgement call. I like time on my side, but either one will work if done right.

Another vote for the stand.

I recently took a section out of a 2 man ladder stand as well. We wanted to move it to a better location, and the full height brought some big branches into play that would've required major tree surgery in order to have shots through. The stand is about 4 feet shorter now, but has great cover, so I have little doubt it'll be a killer spot. Good luck.

NWBuck

I also prefer being elevated, but in this situation the blind may be better. I'm pretty sure DKELLY is about 5' 18". :grin:

Put up one of each and keep them guessing.

Top Bottom