Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground Blinds

Shedhuntermd

PMA Member
Hey guys/gals, I have been thinking a lot about ground blinds recently. I normally am a you get what you pay for kind of guy, so yah I spend a lot on hunting stuff! I was walking though Wal-Mart over lunch today when I saw a Ameri step blind called the doghouse, it has shoot though windows 3D leafy camo, holds three people, weighs 14 pounds, has back straps, and sets up in 10 seconds. I was set on a double bull blind, but I figured I would give this one a try anyway. Being that I am new to the blind world, do you guys know the differences in the $79 dollar blind I just bought and a $500 double bull blind? And have you guys practiced shooting thought the mesh windows to make sure arrow flight is not affected?
confused.gif

The difference will be CLEAR when the wind is howling outside.

And yes, the shoot thru windows will have an effect. Close distances , no, but anything over 30 its a crap shoot. Plus I dont like looking through the mesh, makes it hard to aim when it gets dark...

zippers pop loose, sticks break, windows open from the outside, poor quaility overall. other than that they're OK....
shrug[1].gif

For 79.00 it's a great deal. the material is different that DB's and is a bit noisier. For that money you can also set it up and leave it there without living in fear that someone is going to steal a 500.00 blind. I've had my Outhouse for 6 years now and it still works great. I had the penthouse and it gave up last year after 3 seasons. That may not sound like much but it was up, out in the sun and elements for 15 months! Anyones fabric will give up after that much UV light, wind and rain. Have fun with it and enjoy your ground hunting.

ShedhunterMD,

As for shooting through the window, there are 2 important things to keep in mind.

1. Keep the netting as straight and tight as possible in setup.

2. Shots that are straight out the window are very consistent. Angled shots are iffy.

Good luck!

NWBuck

I have a Double Bull T5 Prostaff in the classified section that I would sell for $300 plus shipping.

I bought an el cheapo blind a couple years ago, the Hunters View version of the doghouse. After two years the tie down straps broke and one of the bendy stick thingys broke too (I think thats the technical term for it...) I decided I don’t like hunting in blinds anyway. I get too claustrophobic. The only way I would want to hunt in a blind is if it were raining hard.
smile.gif

I had a Ameristep Brickhouse, 1st time setting it up "one of the bendy stick thingys broke"(thanks Kat) I got a new stick and the blind was used 3 times before the sidewall hub broke thru the fabric, zipper seam tore out, they are an ok blind but u said it... Ya get what ya pay for!!! Gotta go DB!!! IMO

I too have been looking at blinds for the past year or so. I looked at the same ones that you did. I ended up getting the Double Bull IP5 blind. It sells for $350.00 new in the box. I have set it up in the backyard a few times and I'm very impressed with it so far. Talk to TRX about the Ameristep blinds. He said he could not even pull his bow back in it. Everyone that I have talked to is very happy with their Double Bulls.
Good Luck

For tips on shooting through the mesh check out doublebullarchery.com . I am not 100% on the address but they have great tips available there which include broadhead considerations. Have fun and get your money back from SAM.
grin.gif

I almost for got to mention DB has replaced a bag and shoulder strap for me. I tore one and lost the other, totally expected to pay for them and they shipped them ASAP for free.

Thanks for all of your advice guys and Kat, After I got home I set up the blind, I am impressed with the speed of the set up, but I can see how those fiberglass poles can break easily and the material of the blind is weak and will have a limited life span. I will end up with a DB, but not this year. I enjoy stand hunting and the advantages that come with stand hunting; but when it comes to turkey, field and bait hunting the ground blind will come into play. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR is especially true with our hobby!

Top Bottom