Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GroundHog Max

Ok, so I dont claim to be any expert in tractors, implements, or anything else. However, I have done ALOT of research into ATV implements for foodplots. I do have extremely limited access to farm equipment for my plots, but lots of access to ATVs. So I had seen some pics but no info on them till now. I just spent a few min looking it over and watching some youtube videos. Looks like a waste of time to me. The disc isnt even the width of the inside of the tires. Your going to have to go over and OVER and OVER the same spot where a pull behind your going to get the same affect with less trips. Your going to have to go over the width of your wheeler (48inches) 2times just to cover what a pull behind covers in one pass. Now if you figure you have 2 gangs of discs on a pull beind, as compared to this you have 1, your now covering 2times the ground. So if you figure 10 trips over the same spot takes 1 hour or a pull behind takes 5 trips and takes 1 hour you've still covered the the whole thing with 2gangs of discs instead of 1.

Your dirt is going to be packed with wheeler tracks which may not be the best for seed contact and excess dirt for covering the seed. The pull behinds have bigger discs (16in) which I think are going to be a benifit to actually working up the sod. Several of the pull behind styles also have a way to adjust a gang angle and height; so when a person does get into really well worked up ground you can adjust how hard it really pulls and how much dirt your really moving around.

The one advantage I see to this is that it will pull light. I doubt a person would even know this thing is behind them especially when you look at the ground.:(

So all in all my vote is a negative on this product.

Groundhog Max looks to be roughly $400.

King Kutter Pull Behind looks to be about $500 to 600 depending on shipping.

IMO the extra money would be well worth it.

Despite the negative feedback, I went ahead and ordered one and used it to put in 3 smaller hunting plots this weekend. Boy am I glad I did. The thing more than delivered on its promise. It just tore up the sod and I could really fly around on the quad while doing so. Bottomline, I would definitely recommend one if you're looking to put in small plots with a quad. Awesome product.

Well, Thats good to hear that it did more than I thought it would and you are happy with it.
Can you explain what type of ground you were turning up. Like grass length, soil type, ect....

Not sure about the soil type. It's mostly old overgrown pasture that was mowed about a month ago and then burned with glyphosate about 2 weeks ago. So it was pretty clean when I went to work.

BTW, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to share his thoughts/info.

The groundhog max works great for small plots. I was very surprised at how well it worked! Great buy for the money!

I guess I didn't measure. I'm in Minnesota and it did particularly plots we cleared out in the woods. It worked on open country sod, but required more rounds. Overall, it works very well!

I guess I didn't measure. I'm in Minnesota and it did particularly plots we cleared out in the woods. It worked on open country sod, but required more rounds. Overall, it works very well!

Can I ask what part of the state your in, just so I can get a general idea of soil quality/type?

Top Bottom