Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

groundhog radish

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Got my ghr, rape, and turnip mix in the ground on saturday afternoon and its already germinating! gotta love the yard hydrant.. i did get about a 10th of rain on it sunday morning early though too.

Me too, I ran a bunch of hose to my closest foodplot, around an automatic water tank. I know I will have at least one good one.

"Rain or shine, plant July 29" is some old saying for turnips & radishes. I planted mine this weekend. If they don't work, I have plan B & C already lined up. Another major thing is to plan ahead by building your organic matter like Dbltree just posted- it really helps in years like this & I read thru every bit of that info because it's priceless knowledge & the benefits are immense, especially in drought years.

Got some planted on Friday myself as part of the Big n beasty mix. And we lucked out and got almost an inch this past weekend.

Deer seem to really hammer them early. Actually, it seems like they sort thru and select them over anything else planted with them. Just need one, maybe two timely rains from here on out and we should be set!

Just got home from putting an acre and a half in. There was a slight chance for rain tonight but I think that's gone. Oh well. It will rain sooner or later.

Nothing to do with the drought and heat. I don't hunt until end of Oct. Will still be plenty warm thru Sept, even Aug. I want attraction end of Oct and Nov. Planted winter wheat last yr Ist of Sept and it took, until Mid Oct to get it up! I expect similar weather this season.

I planted my dbltree special this weekend also. One acre in southern washington county. Hoping for some rain this weekend.

Well we planted some groundhog radishs this weekend. Has anyone used them in the past? I sure hope it rains.

Planted mine last Monday. Was very lucky and had a rain 4 hours after

that. Also had a great soaker on Sunday. Already starting to grow.

Will be a great draw for your deer.

Only thing that is for sure is if you do not plant them nothing will grow.

Good luck.

For you fellow "ground hoggers"...:D

Are you planting ground hog forage radishes(GHFR) by themselves OR in a mix with other brassicas(rape, turnips, etc.)?

Related question...

Is there a difference in maturity on these radishes v. any other brassica variety OR are they all pretty similar in terms of how long they take to grow/mature?

I ask because I have plenty of brassica seed mix already, that I so far have not planted due to the incredibly dry conditions I have on my farm. But I am now thinking maybe I will plant a couple of small patches of GHFR all by themselves. I of course would like to feed deer this fall/winter with them, but I also REALLY want to get those roots down in my soil to help break up my southern Iowa clay too.

I just ordered 20 pounds of GHFR seed and I am trying to decide if I should plant it by itself or mix it with my other brassica seed, which I already have plenty of.

For you fellow "ground hoggers"...:D

Are you planting ground hog forage radishes(GHFR) by themselves OR in a mix with other brassicas(rape, turnips, etc.)?

Related question...

Is there a difference in maturity on these radishes v. any other brassica variety OR are they all pretty similar in terms of how long they take to grow/mature?

I ask because I have plenty of brassica seed mix already, that I so far have not planted due to the incredibly dry conditions I have on my farm. But I am now thinking maybe I will plant a couple of small patches of GHFR all by themselves. I of course would like to feed deer this fall/winter with them, but I also REALLY want to get those roots down in my soil to help break up my southern Iowa clay too.I

I just ordered 20 pounds of GHFR seed and I am trying to decide if I should plant it by itself or mix it with my other brassica seed, which I already have plenty of.

Daver,

I used the mix Paul recommends.

Based on the use of them last year I would have no problem just using the
Gfr alone.

They did not eat

My ptt until I put the Gfr in them.

As far as the maturity dates I do not know but assume they are all pretty close to the same.

They will break up the hard pan for you also.

Let us know how they do.

Ground hog radish, tillage radish, forage radish, etc are all Daikon Radish, same thing.
I'd do this... I'd plant some alone & then some in a mix. I do think they'll pound both BUT you can see how they do on your place & compare the areas.

Just a shout out to Welter Seed...I ordered 20 pounds of GHFR yesterday and it was at my doorstep when I got home from work this evening. Also not the first time I have had them get something to me in just a day or two.

Same here Daver. I couldnt believe when it showed up the next day. It costs me a fortune to get that kind of service from Cabelas.

Top Bottom