Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

groundhog radish

Same here Daver. I couldnt believe when it showed up the next day. It costs me a fortune to get that kind of service from Cabelas.

Now if I could just order up about a 3" rain from them too I would be set! :D

It's getting close here, but I dont know if it will make it. Everything is in the ground, just waiting.

8-10 lbs per acre. Go nuts with the fertilizer if you're able. Too little is a major mistake too many make. If anyone skimps on fertilizer, seed GHFR at a lower rate.

8-10 lbs per acre. Go nuts with the fertilizer if you're able. Too little is a major mistake too many make. If anyone skimps on fertilizer, seed GHFR at a lower rate.

Is 100# of 30-0-3 per acre sufficient? Also, I will be planting the GHFR's in two areas that have already been planted and fertilized twice this year. I planted beans initially in May and after a virtual no go on the growth I re-fertilized and replanted a bean/milo mix in June, but again, lack of moisture predominantly led to another planting failure.

Is it faulty thinking to think that since I have already applied fertilizer twice this year, that I would have some residual N working for me at this point? I know the rain has certainly not taken the N away! :D

Well we got rain today, the seeds sat in dry dirt for a week. We did not get a lot of rain but every little bit helps.

Well we got rain today, the seeds sat in dry dirt for a week. We did not get a lot of rain but every little bit helps.

I got pounded today, heavy winds and rain. Spent the afternoon without electricity and chainsawing. Will need to repair the roof on the house tomorrow. It will take a week or two to clean up all the trees.

One rain gauge was 0.9", the other 1.4". I'll take it. :way:

The two previous applications of fertilizer were disked in, yes. I got a bit of a surprise though when I visited those two fields today. I think I know where my N went...the weeds exploded in the past two weeks in those areas. Whereas the yard hadn't really grown at all in the past 2 weeks, the weeds in the plots went nuts! There were many pods of weeds thigh high. :(

I have some milo stalks showing, but 98% of any beans growing there were scarfed up. So I disked in more N today and then cultipacked, planted the GHFR and then cultipacked one last time. We did get about 1/4" today while we there, so we shall see.

Let's just say the planting part was interesting because my son managed to run over our bag seeder today with the disc! Harumph! So in true Red Green fashion...out came the duct tape and by golly we managed to sort of fix the thing and get the GHFR seed spread. I somehow doubt we got it on real even though! :D

Anyone want to buy a slightly used bag seeder? :D

I got pounded today, heavy winds and rain. Spent the afternoon without electricity and chainsawing. Will need to repair the roof on the house tomorrow. It will take a week or two to clean up all the trees.

One rain gauge was 0.9", the other 1.4". I'll take it. :way:

Our home in Iowa City had more rain and storm damage to trees than what we saw at the farm. The storm must have been more powerful in east central Iowa than SE Iowa.

Sorry to hear about your damage Randy.

So happy I got it planted when I did, we have got a couple good rains in the last couple weeks. Just last night we ended up with around 2.5". It is all up and growing good.

For FERTILIZER, I put down about 150-200 lbs of Urea. or around 70-92 actual lbs of N per acre. In areas that were soil tested that did NOT need P&K or I had recently spread manure or lots of P&K I skipped that part. For folks who soil test & do need P&K or probably 90% of any scenario on here, you'll need to load up there. I think Dbltree's P&K rate is 400 lbs of 6-28-28 per acre? Something along those lines. I'd maybe skimp on the P&K a little before skimping on the N though if u had to cut costs back. Also- based on soil tests or winging it, sure would be wise to add some pelletized lime, even a couple hundred lbs per acre, not expensive & really helpful to uptake of all the fertilizer you put down.

Top Bottom