Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Guaranteed NR Landowner Tag

I've been very good so far about keeping my mouth shut! What do you know Deerslayer37 about the IBA? I love how everyone puts the blame on the IBA, IBA this IBA that! BS! Does your state bowhunter organization not stand up and look out for your rights as a resident bowhunter? I invite you to come to our Banquet to see what the IBA is about, hell I'll buy your ticket and you can sit with my wife and I! Everyone uses us as a escape goat! Please reply to me with actual factual information in regards to where we say [ QUOTE ]
the IBA is just rabid in its arguments. they dont look at the facts, they just think that all NR's are rich fat sleazy land buying hucksters that want nothing but for there to be no land for IA residents to hunt on

[/ QUOTE ] We have not even come out with our Official stance yet, due to the fact that all the bills in legislature are still in the "STUDY REWRITE PHASE". You bet your ass we stick up for our resident hunters, yes that is right hunters, not just bowhunters! If your state does'nt do the same I think I would be moving!
The IBA donates thousands of dollars every year to the HUSH program, TIP, Iowa Archery in School, education programs, etc. How does this make us "Rabid"? How come we dont see lots of NR harvest photos of does?
" [ QUOTE ]
I think NR landowners as a whole have improved habitat and the overall structure of the deer herd,until the iowa legislature, IBA, and iowans as a whole acknowledge this, this debate isn't going to end.

[/ QUOTE ] " No it wont. Do you make the same comments about elk hunting in AZ or NM? What about ram hunting in TX or AZ or CO? Do you know how many years people are waiting to get a NM elk tag? What about the costs? Why should Iowa be any different? Please fill the rest of the post with factual information, and enlighten me as to how the NR's are improving habitat and the overall structure of our deer herd!

I am a resident of Alaska, I have to put in for draws and lottery for my home state, think I like it, hell no, but when I get drawn I know I'm in for some Quality hunting. If I don't get drawn, I can still hunt all the species, just not in awesome areas that are provided through draw. Oh well, I will still hunt and hunt harder for the trophys. Wouldn't you do the same or just cry about it on the couch, hell no... Your gonna hunt, beating this deadhorse isn't gonna get your buck year after year... (I understand that NC doesn't offer the size that the midwest bucks have, but isn't it still a trophy in itself, however you pursue them.

Maybe if the whole US had antler restrictions, would be alot less budging into other states. Don't take advantage to a good thing, as it won't last forever, thats quality hunting.

Deerslayer, you have nothing to complain about. Just owning the ground would be good enough for anyone not only on this site but in this world. If I had family ground in this state or any other I would appreciate just being able to go there and walk around and enjoy it. Man, just being able to walk onto a farm and say, enjoy this kids, this is ours...Maybe someday, I hope.
I have many freinds that are NR's as I have mentioned earlier in this topic. I know for a fact they don't fit the catagory you have placed them in. Without meeting you I'm sure they wouldn't put you there either. Although they do not currently own land in Iowa, they would like to. And they accept the fact they are gauranteed nothing but being able to come to their ground to shoot does, or just walk it to enjoy what they have been fortunate to purchase.
On the 700 acre farm that your family has, what is the purpose of the 20 acre's of corn. Is this a cash rent or do you plant and harvest yourself? Is this for farming purpose to help provide income to pay taxes, or is it to attract wildlife?And how many crop acre's do your neighboring freinds plant?
Another question that I have is how many neighbors and how many acres do they control that aren't harvesting the does? You said in an earlier post that you allow 2 bowhunters to shoot does from your property. How many are they taking, and how many does your family take during their tagged seasons? Has any family member contacted someone from the DNR and had them come out and look into depredation tags for the herd problem and your ground? I'm sure you have a ligitimate complaint if your farm is bordering federal property and it is not accessable to public hunting.

I'm not saying the IBA is a bad organization. I think the way it and its members have been treating this whole thing is totally wrong. Yes, we have organizations in our state too that do the same thing. we have the conservation congress, we have hearings in the spring where hunters and anglers get to vote on the issues that the DNR is concerned with. For example, last year the DNR proposed the use of dogs for fall turkey hunting. it was shot down at the spring hearings and we havent heard about it since. I dont care how good the IBA is with donating to the HUSH program and all that, they're dead wrong on this issue. Everyone in iowa i've talked to says that the IBA is going to take care of this. most organizations tend to go with the opinions of the majority of their members. I think in this case the IBA really needs to look at the issue instead of going to war against the NR's.
As far as elk in NM and AZ and ram in WY, thats a whole nother subject. The reason they draw for ram is because there are not that many of them. In NM and AZ, elk is pretty much their revenue source for their DNR. its alot different than a whitetail. I didn't know they hunted RAMS IN TX????
How NR's are improving habitat. Well, lets see. Since we've bought our place,probably 10 years ago, we've made alot of habitat improvements. we started by logging some small areas to create clear cuts. It created food for the deer and bedding cover. Next, we did TSI work. Almost all the undesirable trees were girdled and killed. We planted two corn fields that stay in year round. We made sure the 10 or 15 acres of corn that got picked wasn't plowed up until spring so the animals could easily pick up what the combine missed. We've released hundreds of pheasants into the area and make sure they have food year round. This spring, because the farmer isn't going to plant corn anymore, we're planting corn and other food plots for deer, turkeys,and pheasants.I know other NR landowners that have improved their properties much like this.
About getting special tags for crop damage, i think its the next step in controlling our deer herd. So many deer run off into the Federal property during deer season and hang out there during shotgun season. The farmer that planted corn down there is calling is quits this year. He lost too much to deer last year. so now we're planting it all ourself to let stand year round, plus some clovers and other good stuff for the animals. We try to shoot 10-12 mature does a year,as this is what we've usually got tags for. the 2 guys we let in to bowhunt usually stick one with a bow and they each shot one this year with a muzzleloader. Just two great guys, they've helped in planting food plots and really take care of the place. if it wasn't for them being so trustworthy and helpful, there wouldnt be anyone besides family and close friends hunting the place just because of all the poaching around here and the fact alot of people can't be trusted.
Like 180 stated earlier, landowners have RIGHTS in all places. There is a difference in owning and not owning land. it has privliges associated with it. and i dont want to hear the "move to iowa" argument again. i think people say that because it requires the least amount of thinking power possible.

lastly, i think its also a crock about how much a NR turkey license costs and landowners can't get preference there either, although i dont think theres a large amoutn of people applying for one. i guess thats a whole nother can of warms we dont need to open right now.

WOW!
Reading the post on this site, I would say I am embarrassed to be a part of it. You guy’s keep throwing the self-serving comments at others when in reality all of the comments are self-serving! (I think there is a word for that!) It seems like it is A-OK to be a Self-Serving Resident, but you are lower than dirt if you are a Self-Serving Non-Resident!
Personally I work hard and I play hard. I will put in for Iowa tags each year and hope for the best! If I do not get a tag, no problem I will hunt somewhere else. Heck! Lots of states want me to stay in their hotels, eat their food, buy their tags and burn their gas!
I think the main problem is that 80% of the land owners and residents want more deer harvested. I know 100% of the Insurance companies want them all shot. Anyone! Want to try and keep with the Insurance Company Attorneys??? I have talked to a bunch of land owners and I know that they love for you to harvest deer on their land. I think if Iowa went to an EAB (Earn A Buck) program for all tag owners, than more does would be shot and the deer population would be better managed. That is the only change I would consider. Heck! Keep the NR tag draw the same; only make all resident and NR tags owners take a doe, before they Earn A Buck Tag.
Bottom line is: Who is going to shoot a Doe at 5pm when they know a Big Iowa Buck might be coming along any second! I know I wouldn’t, but if I had to before I could even have a chance at Ol Mossy Horns, than that is a whole different story.
Bottom line is that something is going to change; there is just too much pressure to decrease the deer population. I think this change would statisfy the land owners, residents and Insurance Company’s with the least amount of impact on the Trophy Whitetail Opportunities.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone in iowa i've talked to says that the IBA is going to take care of this. most organizations tend to go with the opinions of the majority of their members. I think in this case the IBA really needs to look at the issue instead of going to war against the NR's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deerslayer,
Not really sure how many "Iowans" you've talked to, but I for one, being an IBA member, do not expect the IBA to take on the state legislature all alone. I will do my part as an individual hunter to contact the people that I think need to hear my opinion. If there's something I don't agree with, I make the effort to try and let the right people hear my side of the story. I'm a member of the IBA because they're a great group of resident hunters just like myself that value the rights they have in their home state. Like I said, I may not agree whole-heartedly with every single vote they cast, but I rest assured knowing they are fighting for my general cause.
You, like others have formed your own opinions of how you would like to be treated. I suggest you do the same as me if there's something your not in agreement with........contact the people who make the decision in the end. You can reply to these posts all you want, and I hope to continue to see you on this site, but your woes will continue to fall on deaf ears. If you're truly sincere about changing the way the state of Iowa allots NR licenses, you need to contact someone other than the majority of the resident hunters of the state of Iowa, and that is just what most of the members on this site are. Instead of reading another reply from you regarding the present issue, I think it would be great to hear about one of your hunts back in your home state of Wisconsin.
Bottom line is, this post will continue to go absolutely nowhere, except make hard feelings between residents and non-residents.
Once again, the best way for you to make a change for your better is to get involved yourself and not rely on others to get the job done for you. It ain't gonna happen.
I hope you receive this reply in the soft manner it was intended, I too have been a non-resident hunter in other states looking in from the outside, only difference is that I've never expected those state residents to change for me.
CRITR

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you do the same as me if there's something your not in agreement with........contact the people who make the decision in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure do agree with that and like you suggest, it applies to both the resident and NR. I have done more of that than ever in the past two months. That, along with letters to newspaper editors, I am starting to get writers cramps!

I have heard back from some of our lawmakers and they are listening. The end result may not be what we like, but at least I have tried to express my view to the people that write the laws for us. If the squeaky wheel gets the grease, my wheels will be squeaking.

HOW IN THE WORLD WOULD A NON-RES HELP US WITH THE DOE POPULATION? THEY DON'T!! SHOOTING JUST BUCKS WILL NOT HELP! IF YOU ARE REALLY A QDM HUNTER YOU WOULD KNOW TAKING DOES IS IMPORTANT. YOU WANT A RES TAG, MOVE TO IOWA.

Top Bottom