Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Guaranteed NR Landowner Tag

This would be the worst thing for Iowa and I will back my opinion with first hand knowledge.

Buffalo County, Wisconsin is known for its trophy deer. What has happened over the past decade is commercialization of large landholding by guides, what landholding are not tied up by guides have been purchased by non-residents at above market value costs and the mass leasing of lands for as much a $50/acre. I have little opportuntiy as a resident of Wisconsin getting access to any land in Buffalo County. The same thing would happen in Iowa and likely be worse. The Twin Cities, Chicago, Kansas City etc are no more than a few hour drive to many of the top hunting spots in the state. A $1000 tag and owning 40 acrs for many of these people would be no different than you or I spending $50 taking your wife out to eat.

It would be bad, bad, bad.

Here's a real simple solution- if you want a resident tag.....move to Iowa!

Deerslayer

I wonder how you would feel if the acres quota were 800 or 1000 acres to get a tag? Also I see a lot of people talking about paying taxes on their ground but none of them talking about the income from those acres. This income goes out of state so do you pay Iowa state imcome tax on it? I also don't see anything about the escalatingvalues of your land . I believe that all of you could, if you wanted, sell your land at a large profit. I also understand that a lot of NR acres are enrolled in the forest reserve program so the acres that hold the deer have very little or no taxes at all paid on them. I just want to point out that NR land owning is not just a one way street, and you can still hunt anything but a trophy buck every single year. It is your chooice.

Just wanted to let you guys know so when the classified pops up you'll be ready.
Wanted: Any Iowa "devalued" land. Cash for your devalued land, Iowa resident and hunter looking to expand real estate holdings. PM Pharmer
cool.gif

Best of luck Pharmer, but fat chance finding any "devalued" land in Iowa (unless it's contaminated with refuse).

Iowa land values have soared in the last year alone!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, I see your point about it being about money, and I am afraid it already is. Your legislature is seeing to it. The proposal that probably will pass out of this years session will not add any tags, but will raise my license and tag fee to over $400 if I read it correctly. Here is a typical cost scenario for a one week hunt for a landowner:
Land payment $20,000 year
Land tax $2,500
License $400
Food and Lodging $500
Gas or plane ticket $500

I dont count hunting equipment and etc, because it is used elsewhere too. All I am saying is that it is already a pricey situation well out of reach of many folks, all but the rich or the die hards like me who make whatever sacrifices necessary to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you want a $1000 doller guarnteed tag. Somthing is wrong with this picture...

Avidhunter- the thread above suggests that NR owned land is devalued by restrictive tag allocations. I'm just looking for the STEEP decline in land values or will wait to be contacted by the NR owners rush to leave the state and sell their land at those devalued prices- but I'm not holding my breath.

People in Iowa need to crawl out of their caves and see the money they could be bringing in to the state. 6000 either sex tags is pitiful. for $150, iowans can come across the river over here to hunt over the counter. But people like us own 700 acres in iowa and we can't draw every year. It makes zero sense. Paying taxes on that land. I dont think people that own land in iowa that are NR are threats to your big bucks. I think almost every NR hunt comes to shoot something big and they'll pass up little bucks. It's not like we're goign to take out all the big bucks in the entire state and leave you guys with a bunch of basket racks. And no, i dont think its just the rich that own land and that giving tags to large landowners would be just something for the rich. I think if you don't have that much land, its just too bad. Some people invest their money in different things.

Answer me this: HOW do the TV guys get TAGS EVERY YEAR????? What kind of deal do they have with the IDNR?

Deerslayer_37,

I don't even know why you would want to come to Iowa to hunt. Wisconsin is the number 3 state for boone and crockett entries, which is only 26 entries behind Iowa. It doesn't make sense to me, why you would own 700 acres in iowa, where if you owned 700 acres in wisconsin it would be the exact same as far as buck quality, plus the perk of hunting it every year.

Another point I disagree on is every nonresident comes here to shoot a big buck, that is the case with everyone. However a big buck to most of them isn't a big buck to us. I've seen many 120-140 class deer go down to nonresidents that think they have killed the biggest thing in the world. so pretty much alot of them shoot the smaller bucks that need a year or two to grow. Lets say they raised it to 12,000 tags, that could be an extra 6000 120-140 class bucks shot. The point I guess Im trying to make is, if there was no Quota the age structure of the bucks will slowly get out of whack and there won't be as many big bucks roaming around. The only people it would really affect are the residents in the long run, because alot of us already pass up the 120-130 class deer and most likely most nonresidents will always think they are shooting big deer. We already know we have enough residents shooting the same size deer, but I am seeing a trend in alot of people starting to practice qdm. Adding to that number of bucks shot each year does nothing for us.

Now I'm not claiming all Nonresidents are like that. Almost all the Nonresidents on this site are Big buck hunters and they already know about QDM and passing on the little guys for next year. I welcome all of you into this state to hunt, and I would think most nonresidents who understand that philosophy will realize that upping the quota will ultimately ruin the quality of the hunt. Right now most guys can gain some acces by knocking on doors and come back every other year to that property and are just tickled to death to be able to do that. But with alot more competition at hand, the quality of the hunt would go down for them as well.

In my conclusion, I see probaby at a max of around 100 Nonresidents that are active on this board, and all are diehards that will wait for the big bucks, but do the other 5900, 11,800 hunters have the same philosophy as you? If you were to really think about it, lets say a nonresident comes here to hunt, or better yet let's say that I am going to colorado elk hunting. I have big intentions of shooting a big bull, I don't really know what a big bull is, but I pass on a few legal bulls. I've put alot of money into this trip and I want one bad, towards the end of the week here comes a legal bull, im not going home empty handed, so I shoot it. I feel alot of out of staters get roped into that situation and it is a good reason justifying why they spent thousands of dollars to hunt, at least they got a Iowa buck right? I mean for the guys who don't go to outfitters or really can't make it out here to put in alot of scouting time, how can they really expect to shoot a big buck? Luck has alot to do with it, and there is alot of 120-140s running around that makes it seem easy. Again most on the site know what they are doing, so it's not all luck for them, but for others the reality of shooting a 150,160+ is pretty slim.

Just one last question? what is your situation with your land? did you buy it solely for hunting purposes? Is it a family farm owned by a resident, but will let you hunt? Or is it a farm that you make your living off of? I feel people who buy land just for hunting already knew what they were getting into, so now that you have it, why should it change?

hunting wasn't why we bought the place..we bought it because it was at a decent price and for the timber. then we started hunting it and fishing it and realized how great it was on that chunk of ground. Yeah, i know wisconsin is great. we have 750 acres there too. we are big buck hunters, we let all the little stuff walk. wisconsin and iowa. we let in two family friends that are residents and allow them to bowhunt and help us shoot does.

The problem is that you residents don't see the huge deer population that you have. You're so concerned about beating back the NR invaders that you have ignored the fact there is WAY TOO MANY deer in iowa. way too many.

So allowing you to shoot a trophy buck every year on your 700 Iowa acres is going to fix "our deer problem"?
shrug[1].gif

Deerslayer, We dont care about your money. We dont need the money, did you forget, we live in caves. You are exactly right, if you want to hunt here, owning land here makes zero sense. Some areas of Wisconsin are good deer hunting, but much of the state is poor for quality bucks. I have several friends that have lived and hunted there for years and they never even see deer like we have on our walls. They fill the game pole with basketracks every year. I guess we must be doing something right huh? As far as TV hunters go. Kiskys and Wensel's live here. The rest, like Jordan's crew all put in and only some draw. Absoulutely none draw every year and I challenge you to prove otherwise. Aren't there any good caves on your Iowa ground? You could become a resident and enjoy some quality buck hunting every year. Come on over to the dark-side. Good luck in the drawing.

no. what i propose is make the NR guaranteed landowner license earn a buck. However, I think the state of iowa will have to go to EAB within 5 years if they don't start killing deer. I hear people from iowa say that they dont have a deer problem and its only in a little area. This is untrue. the whole state has too many deer. A friend of ours in Clayton county recently had all his shrubs eaten off by deer. This is right next to his house too. When you see 100 deer in one field, you know theres too many deer.
And about residents getting squeezed out, i highly doubt this will happen. It's not like if you increase the tag number to 10 or 12 thousand all the residents are not going to be able to hunt. Iowans are really being stupid about this and they need to get their head out of the sand. Landowners in every state deserve preference resident or NR simply because they pay taxes to that state that they own land in.
Lastly, raising the number of antlerless tags for NR's is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. WHO PAYS THAT MUCH MONEY TO SHOOT A DOE??????? the answer is nobody. nobody wants to pay big bucks to come to iowa and leave with a doe. honestly guys, iowa residents are not going to get pushed out and until you let landowners have their own tags without some sort of EAB system the deer population in iowa will sky rocket..probably eventually will get CWD or TB and die off. its nature's way of controlling the population. you people have to start thinking of revenue in the state and science instead of some Red Scare type thing.

why should i move over to iowa to shoot deer on my own land? you people act like the deer belong to you and only you and if you can't control the numbers of NR's then you are going to take your toys and go home.

Deerslayer 37,
What is way to many. Give me a number.
Do you have a clue. I believe I due.
Shoot us a number so we can see what you think is to many. How do you come up with the analogie that there are to many. What do you base your to many response on? I personally am getting tired of people saying there are to many deer when they have nothing to base it on. Give me some statistics, crop loss, anything!! Just don't tell me you saw 75 deer standing out in a field one day or you hit one with your car and your insuarance premium went up, so that constitutes that there are to many deer. I see you are a student. College or high school? Do you research your topics or do you just guess. Help me out here. Give me so info on our deer population that I may not be aware of. Also, do you own land or does your dad. Because if your dad owns it you would not be entitled to a guarenteed nr tag anyway if they allowed nr to purchase a land owner tag every year. If you do own it you are one of the luckiest college kids or high school student that I know.
Please!

trper
wall.gif
busted.gif

Deerslayer

There have been several questions asked that you don't seem to want to answer, not that you have to.
1. If your family bought the farm because it was a good buy and you wanted the income from the timber what has changed just because you can't get a buck tag every year. Land values have gone up, so the investment dollars have grown, correct?
2. How much do you actually pay in taxes in Iowa? Is all that fine timber in the forest reserve program meaning no property tax? Many residents pay more property taxes on the home they live in with no land included than you possibly pay on 700 acres.
3. If Iowa has such a terrible problem with deer populations and you are so concerned do you and your family get as many antlerless tags as possible to control numbers on this 700 acres? Wouldn't it make sense to make local contacts and build frendships and allow more than just 2 local residents hunt this ground, or you overly concerned that a resident might take a huge buck that you would not then have a chance at?
4. If this is a family deal how is it that at least one member of the group can't draw an any sex tag every year? I don't know or care who actually pays for the farm and the taxes but I would bet that that isn't you so you should not receive a garrentied tag anyway.

We all tend to look at these issues in a self serving manner, so I can't blame you for your feelings , but You need to realize that we residents live here and work hard and pay taxes on our poor hovels and caves and one of the bennifits is that we enjoy some excellent deer hunting. We are trying very hard to keep it that way so that some of our children can enjoy the same thing. Rather than fighting us please come and join us for the good fight.

specific numbers? there are no numbers as far as deer/sq. mile in iowa. I'm not basing it just on the deer i've seen in fields. You can hardly drive to Guttenberg from here anymore without almost hitting deer. Yes, there are too many deer in iowa. When i can go out into the woods and bump 60 deer out of 40 acres, yes, i would say there is too many. its only going to go higher unless something is done. statewide earn a buck for one season would probably do the trick. NR earn a buck could help. My dad and uncle are usually somewhere in Iowa 2 or 3 days out of the week. Out in the woods,walking timber, not sitting behind a compter desk looking for old deer numbers the DNR put out 8 or 9 years ago. There are too many deer. get out there in the woods and take a look for yourself. how anyone could call themselves a serious hunter and not agree that there are too many deer in iowa completely blows my mind. we had 20 acres of corn planted at our place in iowa that we had rented out. After the deer were through with it, yield was barely enough to cover the cost of fertilizer and seed. but theres not many deer i guess....

The problem with increasing any of the NR tags is many fold.

*There is no doubt that an increase in NR tags (antler-less or either sex) would actually increase the deer population in Iowa. More NR hunters means less access for residents, and consequently more doe refuges. This is fact.

*An increase in NR tags would screw up the quality of deer hunting in Iowa. The doe population would only get worse, and smaller bucks would be killed before they even have a chance.

*An increase in NR tags would also further exacerbate the problem of inflated land values in Iowa. This is a HUGE problem, not only for hunters, but also for farmers. Think about it. What happens when farmer Joe wants to buy some additional land to expand his modest business? It's about impossible for any young Joe to get started in farming, unless papa has land to give, because he sure as hell can't afford to buy any himself, it's too damn expensive.

*An increase in NR tags means an increase in outfitters. This is the worst of them, if you ask me. An increase in outfitters basically accelerates all of the problems listed above.

*An increase in NR tags would actually hurt the Iowa economy, if you ask me. Let me explain. If you displace resident hunters, by shutting them out with leases and large land aquisitions, forcing them to try and hunt on the few public areas Iowa has to offer, they will over time cease to hunt at all. All hunters spend money, and lots of it. Think about all the money we have spent on guns, ammo, clothing, calls, accessories, gizmos, tags, licenses, vehicles, gas... it's mind boggling (money well spent, if you ask me
grin.gif
). If the number of regular Joe, resident hunters decreases, what will happen to all of the businesses that depend on our money??? Think about it... local sports stores, hardware stores, convenience stores, gun manufacturers, hunting clothing manufacturers, DNR revenues... the list goes on and on. I am talking about the BIG PICTURE. If this trend continues, where only the rich get access, and can hunt, the overall number of hunters will decrease. I guarantee it. Right now it seems like it's just us residents that are on the firing line, but that's not the case. Everyone else I mentioned above needs to wake up, and smell what's being shoveled right now into a bill that will affect us all.

Iowa has issued thousands of bonus doe tags and our harvest is now at record levels. It appears we are doing a good job of addressing the population problem ourselves. Again, the "I pay taxes" issue is totally off the mark. In Iowa, the DNR does not get any funding from property taxes. Your taxes are doing nothing for our wildlife. Therefore, you can not assume any right or ownership to any wildlife on "your" ground. Sorry, but none of your arguments serve any purpose other than satisfying your want to hunt here every year. The rules have not changed since BEFORE "you" bought the ground.

I hate to reply to this post as it's been gone over a dozen times in previous years. If we are so stupid (as you said in one post) why do you want to hunt here? Obviously we're way to stupid to manage our herd and get trophy bucks to grow. We or our DNR can't possibly know the first thing about QDM. And buy the way, the deer are considered PROPERTY of the DNR. That's why you can't just go out and shoot a deer any time you want even if it is on your daddy's property, it's called poaching.
And I believe the DNR does give a estimate of deer per square mile/county. You just need to learn how to do some research.

Top Bottom