Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Had a Great Rut Hunt Yesterday Until.....

The Silence

PMA Member
Saw lots of bucks and rut action yesterday for the first time this year. Great time to be in a tree stand. Then.. I hear this loud ruckus going on behind me at about 60-70 yards as the light was fading. At first I thought it was a buck running around with a doe, but when I turned around I could make out at least one deer that was in some kind of struggle. I thought, 2 bucks are fighting! I'd never witnessed that before. I got my bow in shooting position, so when the fight was over and if they were to go past my stand I'd get a shot. All of a sudden, the doe took off to the south, running at full speed---with at least 2 coyotes on her heels!!!! This was not a small fawn, but it was too dark for me to tell how old she was. I'd heard about this type of thing happening during times of deeper snow, but at this time of year? Have you guys ever seen this happening before? My buddy and I are the only ones bow hunting this area of the property at this time of year and the doe didn't act wounded at all when she bolted.

A couple years ago a friend and I were coyote hunting at night. Snow on the ground, good moon. We finished and went back to my place and we're standing in my driveway talking when all of a sudden a doe comes running from the south and crosses my driveway about 60 yards away. 40 yards behind here was a single coyote that was clearly chasing her. Crazy. We got the dog to stop and my firend was able to get a shot at it and missed.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Was in the stand one morning and heard a deer running my way. Seen it was a doe and was hoping for a buck behind her, but was a yote. She ran by the stand, and as soon as the yote hit my trail where I walked in he hit the brakes and turned the other way.

Coyotes will try to take an uninjured adult now & then, but without deep snow, ice or something else to help them out (like maybe a large pack of yotes), they aren't usually successful. Young of the year, deep snow, ice, or injuries, now that's another matter... :( Whack-em-all!!!!

Had a 125 " 8 come running through yesterday morning. Wasn't 15 seconds later a coyote was hot on his trail. Nose on the ground following the bucks trail.

Top Bottom