Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Halloween

Right there with ya. My family committed to this coming weekend for our annual family football get together then most of them bailed!! Got $500 worth of tickets for my herd so to Kinnick we are headed - like it or not. I will most likely sit Friday afternoon and maybe Sunday PM. Looks like the temps will really be cooperative for a treestand this weekend for sure. Hopefully the game is worth a crap or my patience with the Hawks will most likely be over.

Well if we are missing booner slaying Saturday- iowa can at least put on a show for us!

Id be happy as a pig in you know what with a south wind!!
I keep a handful of stands for a southwind and they have proven to be electric given the chance to hunt them from halloween on

I kind of hope the South wind stays. One of my best spots, that I have not been in yet can only be hunted with a South Wind, plus it is right at a water hole.

Really wish the 200 acres of corn and the cattle were out at a new farm that I got permission for, for this year only. Great travel corridor. Just can't get into any of it without getting chased by cows.

I kind of hope the South wind stays. One of my best spots, that I have not been in yet can only be hunted with a South Wind, plus it is right at a water hole.

Really wish the 200 acres of corn and the cattle were out at a new farm that I got permission for, for this year only. Great travel corridor. Just can't get into any of it without getting chased by cows.

Couple buckets of corn at the gate might slow them down...at least long enough to let you get to your stand. Just make sure it's far enough away to not call it baiting!

Couple buckets of corn at the gate might slow them down...at least long enough to let you get to your stand. Just make sure it's far enough away to not call it baiting!

Then what do I do on my way out? Black Angus in the pitch dark with this years calves with them and Bulls. I might as well plan on an African Safari for Water Buffalo.

For the cows, unless they're hungry, provoked or basically pets, they should leave you alone and may actually go the other way. I suppose you could run into a territorial or psycho bull, but I wouldn't worry that much about them. Guess it may depend on the disposition of the cattle. I hunt around cows and have never had a problem with them charging or running me over. Most are just hungry or a little curious, but then the give up if I keep walking and ignore them. Horses are actually worse...they follow you everywhere!

Seen 140" mature ten harassing a doe at daylight, only turkeys since then. Set up on a ridge and really wishing there wasn't as many leaves still on the trees.

Haha i hunt around cattle also. I pay them no mind and other than the occasional following or calfs hoping around they are safe. There is a reason they stay in the fence even though they are big enough to push it right over. They not vewwy smart.
Those big bulls just like to be scratched behind the ear, they won't hurt ya

Rattled in 1 small buck and saw 1 small one cruising. Other than that just a few does. Think I'm going to move into the timber and sit off a scrape in the ground blind. Hopefully they'll be moving there even though it's surrounded by standing corn.

Windy windy windy....a whole lot of coon action. 4 coon so far and that's it....should be better this evening. .. i hope

went out the am and had 5 different bucks all over me before sun up. Also one doe. Nothing mature. 140' 10 was the best of the crew. I snort wheezed him to see if he would take a liking and to my tree he came. Rattled one small fella in right as the sun was coming up also. The other 3 were just passin thru

Super windy, and cold. I did not take enough clothes and froze all night. Had a few forks behind the house trying to figure a doe out this AM. My 2 yr old stud 8 pt hunting buddy came in again tonight. Had a big 10 or better at 80 yds. Did not even stop when I grunted and snort wheezed. I am thinking that he is the same big deer I had come into a field a couple of days ago, right at last light, but I could never tell what he had for antlers.

Putting everything I have on in the AM and hoping he comes by.

As promising as the weather seemed, the hunt was rather uneventful. I kicked a good one up on the walk in which stinks. He was bedded obviously in a place I didn't intend. Hunted about 100 yds down wind of standing corn with thick stuff on both sides. Really thought bucks might wander either between the thick bedding areas or walk by to scent check the field.

I ended up rattling in a 2 year old 8pt, and then directly downwind a really nice 150ish 10pt stayed about 100 yards out and just walked diagonally behind me into the timber. I assume he caught my wind and just kept walking.

I got excited about 6PM, a lone doe came right by me at 5 yards. I just kept waiting for a buck to follow in tow, never happened!

Top Bottom