Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hammer time!

Packnasty

I've had permission to hunt this piece of land for 3 years now, but have kind of overlooked it. Couldn't really decide on a good set in the sparse wooded parcel. This year, I've lost access to a number of other properties so I've gone back to it. I managed to find good sign in one particular area, which was all the way on the back side of a hilly woods. Hunted the stand for the first time the morning of the 8th, with great action. Had 4 bucks in range... one of them I thought long and hard about - a big, thick, mature 1x2. Really unusual deer. Anyway, I was very excited about the spot, and was waiting for the right wind to get back there.

I was starting to get the feeling that it might not happen this year. Weirdly, that gave me encouragement, because it always seems to happen right around the time I start losing hope. With the cold front moving in on the 11th, I figured the next few days would be pretty good.

This was the first deer I saw on the morning of the 11th, at about 6:45 am. It all happened really quick. He came right into my doe pee, and came in solo and grunting. Came in from the neighbor's cut CRP field nearby and came in hot. Stopped right in my shooting lane 20 yards away for an easy chip shot, and I was ready for him. After a short bolt, he started flicking his tail, got all wobbly and piled up within site. Watching the deer fight and go down really give you a great amount of respect for the animal. I tried watching it all through the binoculars but was shaking too hard. Didn't really get a good look at the deer until it was down, but I am very happy with him. Tough drag out to do solo. I'm still sore.

I told the wife I'd shave my beard when I shot my buck. Now my chin is cold.

Great buck! Congrats. It's kinda neat to see how he is partially lopsided on both sides. Left has great 2 and 3, but right has an awesome brow! Very cool deer.

That's a monster....... I hope I choot me a munsta buck......... Lmao seen that term on the outdoors channel.

Top Bottom