Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hand releases

haldermand

What kind of hand/thumb releases do you guys use ? I'm in the market for a new one . I don't want a back tension , but a thumb trigger . Any recommendations ?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Get a Scott!!! Had a Mongoose for years! They work! They don't rock! They don't kick ass!!! They Work!!!! What else you need?????????:way::way:

Cooter said:
Are you shooting a thumb release now?

I tried to switch and couldn't. Before I would dump a bunch of money on one I would buy a lower cost one or a used one.

I've heard good things about trueball or Carter. I would be bias toward Carter;)

Mobile Cooter using IW

Yeah , I'm shooting a TRU Ball Max Pro 4 . It feels great in the draw cycle (feels easier to pull) and my anchor point feels great , but the trigger and stuff is junk . It hangs up badly no matter how I adjust trigger sensitivity and position . I love the feel of a hand release , so that's why I want to stay with one .

Carter makes great releases and you can usually find a good used one in the archerytalk classifieds. I bought a like new Simple 1 off there for $120. I'll be hunting with it this fall

Also, back tension is a technique not a release type. I shoot my Simple 1 using back tension.

PYBucks said:
Carter makes great releases and you can usually find a good used one in the archerytalk classifieds. I bought a like new Simple 1 off there for $120. I'll be hunting with it this fall

Also, back tension is a technique not a release type. I shoot my Simple 1 using back tension.

Thanks for the recommendation . I keep on getting carter recommendations from many people . I think that's what I'll be going to . And I get what you mean about back tension . I just meant that I didn't want a release that's triggered by back tension . I prefer to know when my bow is going to shoot .

I've had the chance to shoot almost all of the carter releases. And Ive owned a few of them. I still keep coming back to the target 4.
I even carry an extra in my jacket in the event murphys law takes over. I'm not climbing down out of the stand in November.
My wife has tiny hands and can shoot the target 4 just fine. She started with a chocolate addiction and now shoots a fits me. Its all personal preference. Try as many as you can and let the release pick you.
I highly reccomend carter, they have never let me down and have been trouble free. Stan would be my next choice for thumb release for hunting and 3d. Goodluck

I have a Stan SX-2 for hunting - a little pricey but super crisp and tweakable. You're welcome to try mine or any of the other releases in the shop if you ever get down in this neighborhood.

gunrunr said:
I have a Stan SX-2 for hunting - a little pricey but super crisp and tweakable. You're welcome to try mine or any of the other releases in the shop if you ever get down in this neighborhood.

I've noticed that nearly every single release that's been recommended to me does not have a rotational head .. My next question is how do they not hang up when it twists your d loop on the hand rotation ? I'm fairly new to the hand release concept , but the one I have now has a rotational head and it still hangs up , that's how I don't understand how one without a rotational head doesn't hang up .

My best advice Is to just shoot a higher end thumb trigger. There is no creep, no hanging up, and actually very minimal twist of your d-loop. I have a friend that just bought the same release that you are currently shooting. To say there is a night and day difference would be an understatement. I know exactly what you mean when your talking about not being able to get it adjusted no matter what you do.

I always wanted to try one of these releases... Just wondering if there are any problems drawing or squeezing the trigger in late season, when you have to wear some thicker gloves?

Im with you on the Stan. I shot Carters for years then a buddy bought a the SX-2 so I gave it a try. Haven't picked up a Carter since....

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom