Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hang and hunt....

patch86

U have some good setups that I would hate to ruin or leave my scent on this early. Will be trying the hang and hunt methode this weekend on various public properties. I've never tried it. I have my line wolf and sticks ready. Any advice and what to do or not to do? What's easiest for packing and such? I'm sure it's not the easiest but it sounds fun for now so i stay out of my prime sets.

I would maybe suggest practicing a few times on a tree at home before you try it out on a hunt. Just to make sure you have the system down good and can do it quietly and efficiently.

Practice makes perfect. I went from an aluminum summit hang on with muddy sticks. To a millennium with muddy sticks. Now I'm using a lone wolf alpha with the lonewolf sticks. Atleast your starting out with the best system I have found. My only advice is practice practice practice. Once you get a system figured out it is super fast and efficient. Go slow and be careful until you find what works the best for you. Harness at all times. Linesman belt. We have 26 pre hung stands but I'd be lost without my lonewolf for observation setups and hang and hunt setups. Worth their weight in gold in my opinion

I have never had good luck with approach. I understand the idea of being a "mobile" hunter, but in my opinion it is always noisy regardless of how hard you try to be quiet. Also, it is difficult to find a tree or proper tree that takes little to no trimming.

Any time I tried to do this, I always felt rushed and stressed at the same time.

I also may have not stuck with it long enough and therefore, had bad results.

This time of the year I'm mostly sitting in observation spots or on the very downwind fringes of food sources. We we use "mobile" set ups for our early season doe hunts and to possibly set up on a shooter buck if there is a hot early season food source. Most of our permanent sets are set up for November type deer movement.
I will say though. Most of our permanent stands were are in place because of what we learned from our mobile set ups. We do have the advantage of doing all of the trimming ahead of time and trees are marked. That takes a lot of the work out of it.

After hanging it in the dark 20-30 times it gets pretty easy. I never have an issue walking in blind and finding a spot to sit. You can be pretty darn quiet and I have gone right in and set up and within minutes have deer coming through. It is always an adventure. I hang and hunted the morning I shot my doe this year. went fairly smooth except for I made the mistake of tieing a 20ft pull rope to my belt loop and then hunting a little higher which I had to haul my pack up before I got in the stand. That reminded me why I always use my 30ft rope lol.

Lone wolf climber has worked best for me, will use it til the day my body won't allow it. Mobile hunting keeps it fresh and I can almost always find a tree that will work.

Like the others have said, practice is key. Also, a lot of frustration can be avoided by scouting. It is hard to walk into an area, in the dark, and find a good place to sit. Establish a good routine and stick to the plan! Good luck.

Hanging and hunting is basically the only way I hunt anymore. I have had too many stands stolen in the past, and because of that, started using the hang and hunt method. It's nice being mobile and being able to pattern the deer instead of them patterning you. I have killed my last 3 bucks on hang and hunts, so it can work well if you give it a chance and hunt smart. Make sure you're familiar with your equipment, and you will get very efficient at hanging quietly and quickly.

Top Bottom