Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Happy Birthday Dad!!

SWBUCKHNTR

There are good things that come out of every situation. I had a few rough years in my life starting a few years back I lost my dad to cancer. He was only 43 and I felt like he was taken away way too soon. I struggled with that for awhile but started dealing with it and eventually accepted it. Then I got married and had a beautiful daughter and thought life is great. One problem I had was I would always look back and think, if dad could only be here to see this. I was lucky enough to have a dad who taught me how to hunt and fish and he enjoyed the outdoors more than anybody I have ever met. With every deer I killed, shed I found, and bag full of morels I would think about dad and it would always go back to, if he was only here. Just when I was getting to the point in life where I thought things were good again we had a tornado hit the town I live in and destroy half the town. It hit the house my wife and I were moving into and we came back from our honeymoon to find that we needed a new roof, windows, porch and more. I thought again man this is horrible, but we were still better off than the people across the street who didnt have homes anymore. We started rebuilding the town and things were looking up again when the shocking murder of my highschool football coach happend. This was a great man who helped me through a lot with the loss of my dad. He had lost his dad a year before I lost mine and my senior year we won Coach Thomas's last championship he came up and hugged me and said "your dad is watching you, and so is mine. They are both here with us today" I never let those words sink in untill now. I have been fortunate enough to have the oppurtunity to buy some hunting ground, and now a dream house. I have always thought, dad is missing out. Now I have come to realize that he is not missing out, he is right there with me in everything I do, just as he was when I was growing up and he was teaching me how to hunt and fish. I just want to say when things are looking down there will always be something better ahead. There will be hard times too but the good ones out shine the bad. Happy would have been 54th birthday dad!!

I can completely empathize with you SWBUCKHUNTR. 6 years ago this April, my daughter was born 15 days after my dad died of a massive, sudden heart attack. I have those same moments and thoughts out fishing and hunting witih my family. All of my good big game has been after he died, but I always knew he was (and still is) watching over everything we do.

I heard about the tornado down here in AZ and I heard about Coach Thomas. Your community was in our prayers every night. Good hunting to you and you are definitely never alone in your journeys!

Last edited:
A tough post to get through...but a great one just the same. I think we all sometimes are guilty of taking things for granted. Happy B-Day to your Dad.

A tough post to get through...but a great one just the same. I think we all sometimes are guilty of taking things for granted. Happy B-Day to your Dad.

very true. I had a tear in my eye while sitting at work. Your dad is always by your side watching your family. He might not be there in person, but there in spirit.

Top Bottom