Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hard to deal with...

buck1979

Loosing the spot where you hunted since you were knee high to a spotty fawn... When you get that call from a longtime friend and landowner that the property is sold, and you are given the contact information for the out of province owner...And you call, any your met with a "finish the season the landowner committed to you and get your sh$t out of there, thats where we hunt now"

Whats worse, is the landowner isn't all there upstairs anymore, and since you were 17 you have told him NEVER sell the land, when your ready to let it go just call me and I will take it. A non resident comes in and makes an offer, and its gone before you ever knew.

Thats what happened to me today, and I'm not really bitching, it's his right to sell, and good on him, and its the new landowners right to give me the boot... The only sure thing is land you own. Just a little sad to see a spot that holds so many memories taken so abruptly. The buyer states it was purchased simply for his crew to hunt, all non-residents, but we have no restrictions here, they are free to hunt here from Sept 1st until Dec 4th like residents.

Anyhow there's not really any substence to this post, just venting I guess. Worse than getting dumped by the love of your life!

Dang that sucks! Worst part about it is thsi is not uncommon anymore around our great state! It use to be a lot of ground for pheasant hunting was being bought by out of state hunters. Lease ground prices are unreal. Deer hunting properties are ending up being sold all over the place. I know of a guy from just south of here who watches the shopper newspapers for land auctions and such because he generally gets the land for a fairly ood price.

Hang in there buddy, I bet you have another spot in mind already.

That does stink to high heaven, but everything happens for a reason. Keep the chin up and finish your season with a bang.

Yeah, I guess I did know that. I should have been more specific and put Iowa in the post.

ahh no worries on finding the deer, I will find more, and I am fortunate to have a good supply of other areas. One of those things you know. I shot my first deer there, as did my wife, would have loved to take the daughter there for her first deer too. Lot of history there, and yes, this is the spot where I posted about the 10 1/2 yr old we have watched since he was 2.And again, it's his right, but the non-resident was quite beliggirent about the whole thing. You know i understand 100%, if I bought a property and someone hunted there I would tell them to finish out the year and move on too likely, but I would politly. I dont think I will even finish off the season there as he said I could...however the evil part of me wants to take everyone I know there and put every 140-150 up and comer on the ground because he was so rude about it, and he can have at managing new bucks. I am not usually a sour grapes kind of dude, and maybe thats what this rant is, I hope not, just frustrated within.

When one path ends another one often times opens up. I had a similar situation happen back by my mom and dads a number of years back. Was able to hunt a really nice farm from the age of 9 to about 20 and one day the people who owned the land told the renters that no one was able to hunt on it anymore except their kids. Quite a kick in the nutz.

Just wondering what you mean by rude, I'm curious what did the buyer do? Also, can U.S. residents purchase real estate in Canada?? Was the buyer from the U.S. or another province?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Back40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering what you mean by rude, I'm curious what did the buyer do? Also, can U.S. residents purchase real estate in Canada?? Was the buyer from the U.S. or another province? </div></div>

Yes, a US residents can purchase property in Saskatchewan but cannot hunt big game on it. This is a resident from another province.

I guess the line that went "get your sh$t off the property at the end of the year, thats our spot now" and his feeling the need to tell me that I better not tresspass next year knowing they are out of province, and that any bucks I was watching, to forget about them, cause there their bucks now. Just a lot of unnecissary stuff. No nead to create a bad relationship before it starts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, a US residents can purchase property in Saskatchewan but cannot hunt big game on it </div></div>

Only 10 acres though. The Act was passed in the 1970's. It's one of the laws that are keeping things sane for use now. What's the point of buying 1/16 of a quarter section?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, a US residents can purchase property in Saskatchewan but cannot hunt big game on it </div></div>

Only 10 acres though. The Act was passed in the 1970's. It's one of the laws that are keeping things sane for use now. What's the point of buying 1/16 of a quarter section? </div></div>

Isn't it a percentage? I know several dudes from the US that own far more than 10 acres.

Dean,
i know all too well how this feels.

the last 6-7 years i have had to start a fresh and know how it sucks to loose the land you have invested in year after year.

good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't it a percentage? I know several dudes from the US that own far more than 10 acres. </div></div>

Nope....it's 10 acres.You can check into the land act if you wish. I know a couple guys from Oregon who each have a 1/4 near my house. iof course they haven't been on it in almost 40 years. They bought it back in the early 70's before the act changed. I'll be honest on how I know. A friend from PA wanted to buy a 1/4 or two near me, just for em to dump a grain pile on each winter so he could come find sheds in the spring. He told me I could treat it like my own for hunting etc.. I won't lie, I looked into it, hard.

Here you go deano...straight form the act itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Act regulates the ownership privileges of non-Canadian residents. Non-residents of Canada and non-Canadian entities are restricted to 10 acres.

Your holdings may exceed these amounts if:

land is acquired from a relative designated in the Act who was a resident of Canada for five consecutive years and acquired the land holding during that time.
land was acquired prior to the legislation's enactment in 1974.
land was acquired while you resided in Canada for five years.
an Exemption is provided by the Farm Land Security Board </div></div>

Not arguing with you Kaare, but there must be a lot of exemptions granted then.

I know of several US residents that have been allowed property over 10 acres here on the basis of creating an economic contribution.

I know you're not.....we couldn't get one. Maybe down there where there is more tillable acreage the exemptions are easier b/c of the greater amount of agricultural options.

Top Bottom