Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hardwood cuttings - useful for the habitat guys...

UFi911

I introduced myself in my previous post... I'm only going to say this once so we can get back to information sharing.

I own a company that sells hardwood cuttings. Hybrid Poplar, Hybrid Willow, and a few shrubs for wildlife. I hope some day you purchase some of our products, more importantly I hope to share some of the information regarding cuttings so you can become more successful with your habitat work regardless if you purchase from us or not. Here we go.

Many habitat guys have a need to screen something. Either you want to sneak past the deer, block a view from a road, or one of many other reasons. In the end you need a wall of green to block a sight line for one reason or another.

Hardwood cuttings are one of the most effective methods to get this done in a hurry. I recommend planting evergreens adjacent to the screen so in a few years you get a year-round screen. But for a quick - have to have it now screen, hybrids get the job done.

Here is a series of pictures showing a screen being planted:

Ground prep consisted of tilling a strip and packing it down:
picture.php

Ground cover fabric is put down:
picture.php

And rolled out to cover the length of the screen:
picture.php

Cuttings are planted through the ground cover:
picture.php

In a week or two they will look like this:
picture.php

At 6 weeks old they are off to the races:
picture.php

At 10 weeks, they start to look like trees:
picture.php

At 14 weeks they have begun to create a screen:
picture.php

And at 4 months:
picture.php

Here is the same screen after its 2nd growing season:
picture.php

This screen was a row of OP-367 hybrid poplars and a row of Hybrid Willows. They were planted 6' between trees and 3' between staggered rows.

-John

Last edited:
Willows and poplars start fairly readily from cuttings, but wondering if you ever use rooting hormones?

JNRBRONC,

We recommend rooting hormone (typically Hormodin #1) for all wildlife cuttings.

You are correct, hybrids seem to do fine on their own, but some others benefit from a little help. Rooting hormone is cheap insurance (even on hybrids).

-John

Does any one of your tree species keep its leaves later than the others?

Thanks

Randy

Ninebark & Hybrid willow hold them the longest... Hybrid Willow only a week or two longer than native trees. Sometimes Ninebark will still have leaves a month or more after everything else is bare.

-John

Two species that bucks love to rub and I could see heavy browsing pressure on the young willow suckers, especially if used around food plots or other areas that see a lot of deer traffic. Love the idea, but how would it hold up in deer country without extensive protective measures?

I would like some more information on other species you offer and prices. Thanks!

Last edited:
but how would it hold up in deer country without extensive protective measures?

Under heavy deer pressure, planting trees above the browsing level helps take care of it. Also helps to have thick trunks so the trees are less likely to be completely girdled. Small cuttings will need protected against rabbits also in natural conditions.

Rabbit-Winter-Damage.jpg

rabbit chew sticks

What other type of trees can you plant this way?

All willows, all hybrid poplars, arrow wood, button bush, elderberry, most dogwoods, ninebark and a couple others that won't grow in zone 4 so I have never tried them.

I would like some more information on other species you offer and prices. Thanks!

Just click on the picture at the bottom of my posts, it will take you to the promised land :)

Under heavy deer pressure, planting trees above the browsing level helps take care of it. Also helps to have thick trunks so the trees are less likely to be completely girdled. Small cuttings will need protected against rabbits also in natural conditions.

BigfootWillow is correct. If planted where you expect deer to be, put a 3' diameter fence 5' high (or higher) and some t-posts in to protect it. And remove it when you are ready to share it with the deer :)

Those rabbits are pesky little guys. As the snow goes up, so does their reach. Great picture though!

-John

I've begun using some of BigRocks products, I own quite a bit of acreage and he hooked me up with quite a bit as well as variety of product. One thing he also sells is a cutting bar. It's a lot easier when planting a lot of cuttings. Also I should note that site prep planting, using fabric or black plastic (deer will poke holes and it doesn't last long but cheap alternative) are great boosts that help prevent weeds and competition and retain moisture!!

Top Bottom