Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Harvest Decline

Iowa's deer harvest has dropped below 100,000 for the first time since the mid-1990s, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources said Tuesday.

Hunters reported 99,406 deer for the 2013 season, a decline of 14 percent from 2012, and down 34 percent from its high in 2006.

The number of hunting licenses is down as well, with nearly 18,500 fewer licenses sold in 2013 than the year before.

Harvest data will be taken into account when the DNR discusses hunting seasons later this winter.

Less deer means less people buying licenses (fair weather hunters) hopefully they take the numbers into account and don't blame the decreased harvest on lower license sales only. Just my two cents

Less deer means less people buying licenses (fair weather hunters) hopefully they take the numbers into account and don't blame the decreased harvest on lower license sales only. Just my two cents

That's a very good point. Farm Bureau will probably try to twist it some way.

One thing I have always wondered when the final numbers are in is this. Is that 18,500 fewer tags sold or 18,500 fewer hunting licenses?

In NW MN, the deer numbers and hunter success/satisfaction has plummeted.
The price of recreational land has plummeted as well.
But it took 1-2 years for the prices to start to fall.

One thing I have always wondered when the final numbers are in is this. Is that 18,500 fewer tags sold or 18,500 fewer hunting licenses?

I always take it as tags. I find it hard to beleive their was 18,500 less hunters. Its not like we buy deer hunting licenses. We buy a hunying license for everything and then a deer tag for deer. Woupd be good to get clarified though.

Top Bottom