Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Harvest numbers

I hunt a tract with a large deer herd. For years, I've been pretty liberal on the idea of reducing numbers and tweaking the buck to doe ratio. As of now, I'm pulling the plug on any further reduction efforts. I'm now seeing dramatically fewer bucks and does. It went from feeling like we still needed to reduce the herd size a good deal to feeling like we overdid it several fold all in one year's time. I also believe the harvest report system is a failure and contributer to false data.

This is a cut and paste from the IDNR web site so the formatting is off. It might help explain the difference between depredation and shooting tags.

What is the difference between depredation licenses and shooting permits?
1. Depredation licenses.
Depredation licenses are issued to individual hunters who have permission to hunt on the
landowner’s property. These licenses are issued for a specific season and will be valid for antlerless deer
only. They cost the same as other antlerless deer licenses, $12 each.
If the producer signs a depredation agreement they will receive a set of authorization numbers for
their property. Each authorization number allows a hunter to purchase an antlerless license which will be
valid on the producer’s land. The depredation licenses may also be used on adjacent land if the adjacent
landowner gives the hunter permission. Hunters may obtain up to three depredation licenses initially. If
they harvest a deer they can obtain one additional license for each deer taken. They will need to get an
authorization number from the producer for each additional license.
2. Shooting permits.
Shooting permits are issued to landowners or their designees in situations where substantial
damage is occurring before a hunting season opens and action needs to be taken immediately. These
permits are issued for a specific length of time and can only be used outside of the hunting season. These
permits may be issued for either sex of deer depending upon the type of damage being done. Antlered
deer may need to be killed to prevent damage even though this will not control the population. Producers
will however be encouraged to use the shooting permits for antlerless deer. All deer killed must be
recovered and the meat processed for consumption. The landowner or his designee may keep the meat or
they can donate the deer to a HUSH locker. The producer should check with the locker to make
arrangements to take deer outside of the hunting season. All antlers from deer taken using these permits
will be turned over to a DNR officer and disposed of according to DNR rules. There is a $2 fee ($1 for
HUSH and $1 writing fee) for these permits.

As far as who owns the deer in Iowa, the citizens of Iowa own the deer and the herd is managed by the DNR as a public trust. The DNR doesn’t own the deer, we do, they manage them for us.

Like it or not the DNR is basing their harvest data on the harvest reports. If a tag is filled and not called in, that deer is still alive. What are the alternatives? Drive up check stations? No thanks. It is incumbent on us to report our harvests and encourage others to report theirs. Under reporting is only going to allow more tags in what sounds like rapidly falling herd.

The ‘Bonker

Top Bottom