Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Harvest Numbers

newfarmer

Kind of sad to see, the state of Iowa has killed 96,932 deer as of today. 834 being shed bucks apparently.
The split between bucks and does is almost equal, almost 8000 button bucks shot though too... yikes...

Kind of sad to see, the state of Iowa has killed 96,932 deer as of today. 834 being shed bucks apparently.
The split between bucks and does is almost equal, almost 8000 button bucks shot though too... yikes...
How does that compare to the last few years?

How does that compare to the last few years?
Found this on the IDNR site, Trends in Iowa Wildlife Population and Harvest 2021-2022. They have one for every year back to 2015.

2020-2021 Hunting Season Results
Iowa deer hunters harvested a total of 102,800 deer during the 2021-2022 season (Table 1.1), which is approximately 6% lower than in the 2020-2021 season (Table 1.2). Deer license sales decreased by 1% from the 2020-2021 to 2021-2022 hunting season.
Antlerless deer (i.e., does) represented 47% of the total harvest during the 2021-2022 season, which was the same in the 2020-2021 season (Table 1.1). Antlered deer comprised 45% of the total harvest in 2021-2022 (shed-antlered bucks are included in this statistic). There were 743 shed-antlered bucks reported in the harvest.

From 2014-2020, hunters were restricted to harvesting only antlered deer during the early muzzleloader and first shotgun season in twenty-seven northwestern counties (Table 1.6) in attempt to allow the population to recover to goal levels in this area of Iowa. This restriction was removed in these 27 counties for the early muzzleloader season in 2020 as we see populations slowly recover to goal levels in these counties. The buck-only restriction during the first shotgun season was also removed in 7 counties in 2020, and 3 counties in 2021, in north-central Iowa. As in previous years, landowners could get 1 reduced price either-sex license and up to 4 reduced price antlerless licenses in addition to the regular tags a deer hunter could legally obtain. Sixty-seven counties had additional antlerless licenses available. A total of 78,600 antlerless licenses were available statewide during the 2021-2022 season, an increase of 1,250 antlerless licenses available compared to 2020-2021. Resident hunters in all seasons could obtain an unlimited number of antlerless licenses before the county quota was met, but were limited to the purchase of one antlerless license prior to September 15th. Antlerless licenses were restricted to a specific county and season.

12c99ca57e9560b868690c1efe977d75.jpg

Sorry for the moire lines, took a pic of the monitor. Not sure what can be said at this point. Bets on next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12c99ca57e9560b868690c1efe977d75.jpg

Sorry for the moire lines, took a pic of the monitor. Not sure what can be said at this point. Bets on next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s like the DNR does everything they can to keep hitting 100,000+. Most of us keep saying no deer and yet numbers are still almost at 100,000. I don’t get it. Next year could be a record low in my opinion, after the EHD outbreaks and also the shed buck season coming up yet. Yikes. We didn’t shoot a deer off our farms, and won’t. Next year we might shoot one for the freezer, been super selective up here in the north side of the state and we haven’t been hit by EHD like some other areas

Completely anecdotal, but I've seen more deer this year than ever. Most of people I talk to say less deer. So are the good areas offsetting the bad a bit,? Idk... sure seems like all I hear is doom and gloom so the 100k number surprises me.

It’s like the DNR does everything they can to keep hitting 100,000+. Most of us keep saying no deer and yet numbers are still almost at 100,000. I don’t get it. Next year could be a record low in my opinion, after the EHD outbreaks and also the shed buck season coming up yet. Yikes. We didn’t shoot a deer off our farms, and won’t. Next year we might shoot one for the freezer, been super selective up here in the north side of the state and we haven’t been hit by EHD like some other areas
I've heard the DNR say they want to hit 100,000 each year to keep the herd at some historic level. I'm guessing EHD will have an impact on next year's numbers. Last tag I filled was Nov 2020 as I'm getting very picky on the bucks and don't care to shoot does.

Top Bottom