Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Harvest Report Totals 2013/2014?

Copied from another thread update:

Here are the totals shown on the DNR website as of tonight (01/13/14)

2013 - 14:
Does - 47,389
Bucks - 38,536
Buttons - 9,675
Sheds - 691
Total Deer - 96,291

Some comparative harvest numbers for the previous six deer seasons going back to 2007 - 08.

2012 - 13:
Does - 55,843
Bucks - 46,626
Buttons - 11,838
Sheds - 1,301
Total Deer - 115,608

2011 - 12:
Does - 62,769
Bucks - 45,280
Buttons - 12,426
Sheds - 932
Total Deer - 121,407

2010 - 11:
Does - 65,195
Bucks - 46,934
Buttons - 13,150
Sheds - 1,815
Total Deer - 127,094

2009 - 10:
Does - 71,273
Bucks - 47,377
Buttons - 15,619
Sheds - 2,235
Total Deer - 136,504

2008 - 09:
Does - 74,758
Bucks - 49,677
Buttons - 15,726
Sheds - 2,033
Total Deer - 142,194

2007 - 08:
Does - 75,073
Bucks - 52,134
Buttons - 16,846
Sheds - 2,161
Total Deer - 146,214

Although I only went back to 2007, harvest numbers are below 100K for the first time in a long time. What really popped out to me that I hadn't paid that much attention to was the button buck numbers. Since 2007, the button buck harvest was over 95,000 bucks (that's over 7 years or an average of 13,600+ per year). Wow, what a hit to the buck populations we are seeing now!!!

I always was thinking about the actual does harvested obviously impacting overall deer herd size (including bucks) but was too ignorant to pay attention to the number of actual bucks being killed due to liberal "antlerless" quotas in the form of button bucks.

I'm glad we actually get to report our deer harvests. It's good to see a good representation of the deer killed in a year, even if not everyone reports their deer. We didn't have this much data before.

I hunt clayton co. and I'm a little concerned, we used to have a pile of deer but now there scarce. today I was looking at harvest numbers and cant believe we're over 4,000 harvested,seriosly this can't go on. all the extra doe tags are sold out,not cool who's buying these! Yet Allamakee co. have sold only half of theirs. cmon clayton co. quit buying the tags unless you're not using them like me! just venting because I'm extremely concerned!

Appreciate the info BJohnson and others. Must not have come up for me. No doubt that 5-6 years leading to a roughly 33% drop in deer harvested is not right. Hopefully the DNR wake up and we see change. These numbers are not acceptable for the serious whitetail hunters (who bring in over 220 million dollars annually.)

Hopefully the DNR wake up and we see change. These numbers are not acceptable for the serious whitetail hunters (who bring in over 220 million dollars annually.)[/QUOTE]

they know what trouble our deer herd is in!!! I was at a whitetail banquet last weekend, the guest speaker was an IA dnr biologist. . 90% of what he talked about was how deer numbers are way, way down! He says that they try to bring tag numbers down but their voices arent heard loud enough in the capital. Said it is up to us hunters to manage the "herd", regardless if they issue more/less tags..

I've been tracking this too. Where I hunt, Harrison county:
% decline from 2010 to this year of 43.7%
1,737 in '10 to 978 in '13 as of this morning.
On avg 10.59% of harvest statewide is button bucks. Harrison county this year was only 5.93% which surprised me until I realized that with fewer does after the over harvesting and then EHD killing so many, the remaining does that were stressed from EHD/drought aborted pregnancies which results in fewer fawns resulting in fewer button bucks to be shot as a percentage of the population. Gov. Brandstad needs to pull his head out and begin listening to his hired experts and greatly reduced harvest on antlerless deer for a few years. Current numbers are unacceptable for Iowa deer hunters....

99189... That is the TOTAL deer shot this year (unless there are still city hunts) When was the last time we didnt hit 100,000 WITHOUT the stupid shed buck season? We were much lower before that started, but I have to admit, it didnt get nearly as high as I figured (thankfully)

Added BJohnson's comments about button bucks- I totally agree. It's insane. What the stats tell me when u analyze that data vs the herd make up... There is almost zero discretion when it comes to what people shoot at. It purely illustrates whatever walks or runs in front of folks will die... Fawns, shed bucks, button bucks, etc. doesn't matter a lick. And considering its usually the fawns to run in front & do absoltely stupid things- id bet most the does are fawn does as well (which, ok). However u interpret that - of course I'm not a fan of indescriminate shooting but right or wrong- that's what the stats say to me.

Last edited:
The numbers are a bit puzzling to me. Where I hunt there are more deer than ever. Here if you don't fill you're freezer you're doing something wrong and if you don't have a chance at all wallhanger you're as well doing some thing wrong. Maybe its because the deer are in a dense pocket where I'm at. Perhaps is the number of hunters down?

I hunt Monona County...we Killed a whoppin 835 deer...and had 2500 extra doe tags...

i usally find around 40-50 sheds a year...im hopin for 1 ..that would be 1 more than last year...Monona County is DESTROYED !!

Ok folks, here is your opportunity to speak your mind regarding deer numbers in Iowa!!!

Articles Detail

DNR To Hold Listening Session on Fall Hunting and Trapping Regulations
Posted: 02/04/2014
DES MOINES - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is hosting public meetings over the Iowa Communications Network on February 26 from 6 to 9 p.m., to listen to the public’s thoughts on the hunting and trapping regulations for this fall.

These meetings are part of the process for making rules in state government.

“Any rule changes must be discussed with Iowa’s citizens who might be impacted by the changes before the rule changes are proposed. The process helps ensure that rule changes serve the public’s wishes and do not impact Iowa’s economy,” said Dr. Dale Garner, chief of the wildlife bureau.

At each meeting DNR staff will facilitate a discussion about what went well last fall, what didn’t, and what changes hunters and trappers would like to see for this fall.

These discussions along with the data that the wildlife bureau collects on harvest and population numbers will be used to develop recommendations for any rule changes this fall. Any changes must be approved by the Natural Resource Commission and then go back to the public for further comment before taking effect next fall.

Meetings will be held in Boone, Calmar, Cedar Falls, Chariton, Council Bluffs, Creston, Davenport, Forest City, Fort Dodge, Johnston, Marshalltown, Ottumwa, Peosta, Sac City, Sergeant Bluff, Sheldon, Solon, Spencer and West Burlington.

Complete ICN locations are available online at www.iowadnr.gov/hunting

I hunt Monona County...we Killed a whoppin 835 deer...and had 2500 extra doe tags...

i usally find around 40-50 sheds a year...im hopin for 1 ..that would be 1 more than last year...Monona County is DESTROYED !!

Same as Harrison County my Friend.

Top Bottom