Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Has to go down as one of the worst ever!

Woodtick

I knew that this year was going to be tough but never anticipated anything like this. In July I started hanging cameras (17 of them) just like other years. I checked them the first week of August and while I had a lot of pictures, nothing that would be 140" or greater. I again checked them in September and same results. At that time I began to relocate them to different areas trying to find out where the bigger bucks are. Fast forward to early October. Still not a single buck over 140". I cannot believe that over 2000 acres not a single shooter.

Just a little history about the area I hunt. I have hunted this area for 15 years. I have invested a great deal of time learning the area as well as building relationships with the landowners. For years there has been a large group that gun hunts. When I say large group I mean 40-50 hunters. I watched them hunt and they shoot everything everywhere. 50-80 deer per year is not uncommon not to mention shoot off the road, chase deer with pickups, and trespass. The law will not mess with them because of their history and the size of the group. One of them owns a guide service. He allows his clients to hunt his own farm however proceeds to trespass on neighbors property. Last year the guide and his client poached a 180" from the area. I heard the gun shots (during the archery season) and had photos of both sides of the deer with no evidence of a entry or exit would from an arrow. Long story short the DNR did not persue the case and said that their goal is shoot deer and control the herd. I tried to explain to the CO that the poaching has been getting worse every year. More and more shots are fired at dark or right after dark. The response again was that it was just a deer and our goal is to control the herd.

I posted on this site earlier asking for some of your advice on what to do as far as hunt this area with the lack of any shooters on camera. The general consensus was to hunt the area because you never know when bigger deer will move into the area.

Well, after relentless scouting, 24 days of hunting, and 2 and a half weeks of vacation the best deer I saw was a 125" 9 pt. That's pretty sad for the great State of Iowa let alone 2000 acres.

It may sound like I am complaining however that is far from the case. For me its not about harvesting a trophy deer rather enjoying mother nature. The best way to describe my feelings would be frustrated and disgusted :confused:.

All I can say is as sportsmen and women we need to stand up for what's right and protect what we have. If you see or suspect illegal or unethical behavior report it and hope that the CO will persue your request.

Happy and safe hunting to all of you and best of luck!

If I got that kind of a response from a CO, I would be outraged. Fortunately all of my experiences with them have been positive. Call the Des Moines office and report this. Who knows what will be done from there, but I'd be pushing the issue.

I would report the co's actions, although he will just deny it. You will prob need good hard evidence for anything to happen. Where are you located if you want to say?

That is very sad. I would report up the chain of the CO. That is BS! I hate those big groups of hunters, they think they own the entire county in some cases. Really makes a bad name for hunters in general.

I feel your pain, I'm on 800 acres have logged close to 200 hours in stands, many all day sits since Halloween and have yet to see anything over 125. Deer numbers in general are way way down in my timber too.

I knew that this year was going to be tough but never anticipated anything like this. In July I started hanging cameras (17 of them) just like other years. I checked them the first week of August and while I had a lot of pictures, nothing that would be 140" or greater. I again checked them in September and same results. At that time I began to relocate them to different areas trying to find out where the bigger bucks are. Fast forward to early October. Still not a single buck over 140". I cannot believe that over 2000 acres not a single shooter.

Just a little history about the area I hunt. I have hunted this area for 15 years. I have invested a great deal of time learning the area as well as building relationships with the landowners. For years there has been a large group that gun hunts. When I say large group I mean 40-50 hunters. I watched them hunt and they shoot everything everywhere. 50-80 deer per year is not uncommon not to mention shoot off the road, chase deer with pickups, and trespass. The law will not mess with them because of their history and the size of the group. One of them owns a guide service. He allows his clients to hunt his own farm however proceeds to trespass on neighbors property. Last year the guide and his client poached a 180" from the area. I heard the gun shots (during the archery season) and had photos of both sides of the deer with no evidence of a entry or exit would from an arrow. Long story short the DNR did not persue the case and said that their goal is shoot deer and control the herd. I tried to explain to the CO that the poaching has been getting worse every year. More and more shots are fired at dark or right after dark. The response again was that it was just a deer and our goal is to control the herd.

I posted on this site earlier asking for some of your advice on what to do as far as hunt this area with the lack of any shooters on camera. The general consensus was to hunt the area because you never know when bigger deer will move into the area.

Well, after relentless scouting, 24 days of hunting, and 2 and a half weeks of vacation the best deer I saw was a 125" 9 pt. That's pretty sad for the great State of Iowa let alone 2000 acres.

It may sound like I am complaining however that is far from the case. For me its not about harvesting a trophy deer rather enjoying mother nature. The best way to describe my feelings would be frustrated and disgusted :confused:.

All I can say is as sportsmen and women we need to stand up for what's right and protect what we have. If you see or suspect illegal or unethical behavior report it and hope that the CO will persue your request.

Happy and safe hunting to all of you and best of luck!

That sounds like a massive problem you got going down there, I'd be very pissed if a CO responded like that. You need to record these conversations if you want evidence, and record this illegal hunting activity! Can't deny it if it is in front of their face!

Feel for you also over 200 hours. Only seen one shooter bout 100 yards running away. But if it was easy everybody would do it I guess

Has been a disappointing season for me as well. After suffering the cold all day Sunday I told myself I should at least take a doe to have something to show for the day. When the chance came I could not bring myself to do it. Thinking about shotgun season and the drives in my area is almost depressing after what I've seen so far this season. I'm not just talking about lack of mature bucks but deer in general.

Your not in Ringgold county are you?

It's been a tough year for everyone I believe.

I hunt ringgold and I have seen amazing deer numbers and many different mature bucks. The worst area I have seen population wise has been the other property I hunt in Union county

I hunt ringgold and I have seen amazing deer numbers and many different mature bucks. The worst area I have seen population wise has been the other property I hunt in Union county
It is not so much the deer numbers in Ringgold as is the poachers, tresspassing and shooting from the road or vehicles.

This thread summarizes my season too. A few nice bucks used to survive the poaching, 1st and 2nd shotgun season every year. Now, throw in too many years of late rifle (extended poaching season), and EHD....perfect storm. Haven't seen or got a trail cam pic of a mature buck all year.

I'm sure there are a few good pockets left, and where I hunt I've always considered it a high density pocket, but the herd on the farms I hunt are down 65-70%. We haven't killed any doe's in the last 2 years, and they have plenty of food and cover.

I hunt ringgold and union as well. Deer numbers and mature deer numbers especially are extremely low. Never thought I would see the farm I hunt with so few deer on it.

I don't post much at all on here, just like reading about all of you serious hunters do things. That being said, my question is after you guys experience years such as this year and last year (poaching, EHD) where the deer number decline rapidly, how long does it take before you can start seeing the numbers come back? Are you looking at 2 or 3 yrs or is it more like 5-10yrs?

We talked to our local CO in Boone County last week and expressed our concerns with the drastically low deer numbers. He said that the DNR deer biologist had Boone and Story counties listed in the below normal range for deer numbers. The biologist suggested no more antlerless tags be issued for these two counties, but Farm Bureau pushed thier hand and made them issue 600 for Boone county. I'd be surprised if there are 600 deer in Boone County this year (Not county Ledges)
The CO said the best thing we could do as bow hunters is not shoot another doe. He suggested we pool our money together and buy up all the antlerless tags next year and burn them.

I don't post much at all on here, just like reading about all of you serious hunters do things. That being said, my question is after you guys experience years such as this year and last year (poaching, EHD) where the deer number decline rapidly, how long does it take before you can start seeing the numbers come back? Are you looking at 2 or 3 yrs or is it more like 5-10yrs?

It all depends. With the low deer numbers, shotgun season (which is when most deer are taken historically), and winter still upon us, population could drop even lower for next year. If during shotgun/late ML season/late bow season, the weather is bad (good for hunting) and harvest numbers go up dramatically, then top it off with a bad winter, you could see a huge reduction in herd size yet this year.

Top Bottom