Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Have you ever....

alh09

Been hunting with a decoy and every now and then, you space off and your decoy startles you? Just happened to me... sitting here thinking and I seen my decoy out of the corner of my eye and thought "oh crap a deer... oh wait"

I've never hunted with a decoy, but this morning there was a blow down that was catching my eye as the outline of a deer. Freaked me the first 3 times I saw it.

I stood still, for well over 10mins, thinking a Bush was a deer.. apparently i thought it moved lol and eventually got startled by a doe that snuck in without a sound right under me! Jumped more than I'd like to admit! Lol

I stood still, for well over 10mins, thinking a Bush was a deer.. apparently i thought it moved lol and eventually got startled by a doe that snuck in without a sound right under me! Jumped more than I'd like to admit! Lol

I've done this many times. Lol

This reminds me of a funny story. When I was 13 I believe I was hunting near garber ia during shotgun season on my uncles farm. Sun was comin up and I could see more and more of the hillside across the valley when I notice a deer! Being an eager 13 year old I slid on my butt to the creekbed and put on a spot and stalk, I get within about 75 yds (proud of myself already like you wouldnt believe). Lay the crosshairs on her and BOOM. Nothin. Deer dont move. After about 30 seconds I realized I had just shot a decoy. I cant be sure but my uncles reaction I think he put it there. Hes also the one that told me to sit in that spot that morning.

I have been fooled many times thinking that a bush or a blow down was a deer. A lot of things can look like deer from the stand..

The mind has a way of turning things into what you want them to be. This is a big reason for ground shrinkage and on a much more serious note can be downright dangerous. Be sure of your target!

I have only hunted with a decoy once, and was not startled by it. But I have seen other objects and thought they were deer multiple times (even the same object the same day). That's another reason to have binos!

The real question is how many times have you come to full draw before realizing it was your decoy?

I have only hunted with a decoy once, and was not startled by it. But I have seen other objects and thought they were deer multiple times (even the same object the same day). That's another reason to have binos!

The real question is how many times have you come to full draw before realizing it was your decoy?

:grin: Never... that would be a heck of a convincing decoy!

:grin: Never... that would be a heck of a convincing decoy!

Lifesize mounts look just like the real thing! :D Man, this gives me an idea...sneak up on a buddy who's sleeping in the stand and place a decoy with a monster rack under their tree! Then film the reaction when they wake up!

That is funny! Almost every time I am in the stand before dark, I spend to much time looking at bushes and shrubs before I realize they are not deer! Happens to the best of us.

Top Bottom