Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Have you had your property logged?

Diggdug

I am considering a select cut on my timber. Since I am an absentee landowner I am considering using a forester. Does anyone have any experiences or advice they would like to share? If you did use a forester was it worth it?

I've done 3 timber sales, most recently last winter. Took out 60,000 BF of mostly junk (pallet sale), but there were some maples and walnuts I elected to take as well.

100% without question use a forester. You will get screwed if you don't if you are not around. You can start with your local district forester (Free) for thoughts, opinions, etc. (They will not manage the sale process) http://www.iowadnr.gov/Conservation...ndowner-Assistance/District-Forester-Contacts
I would not, under any circumstance, deal with a specific logger. BID it out.

I've done 3 timber sales, most recently last winter. Took out 60,000 BF of mostly junk (pallet sale), but there were some maples and walnuts I elected to take as well.

100% without question use a forester. You will get screwed if you don't if you are not around. You can start with your local district forester (Free) for thoughts, opinions, etc. (They will not manage the sale process) http://www.iowadnr.gov/Conservation...ndowner-Assistance/District-Forester-Contacts
I would not, under any circumstance, deal with a specific logger. BID it out.

BINGO!
Also, be careful on the trees ANYONE tries to talk you into cutting. For example, if you're going to keep the land, care about its future and they are marking your premium veneer walnuts that are 19" DBH - that's a devastating bad choice & horrible financial move. Short term gain & little more to sell while you cripple your future potential. So, just have a level of conservation & future in mind when you're talking about cutting down your premium quality trees. Sell every bit of "junk" you can and get a few opinions. BID BID BID - no question!!!!!!

I would ask yourself what your goals for the property are and let that dictate the choices you make.
Judging by your other posts the financial side is important to you as well as hunting. If this is the case then it is important to determine what your timeline is if this farm is a short stepping stone to another then I would cut it based on highest net sale, if you are interested in this for the long haul then manage for maximum long term gain. Timber prices are pretty good now for most species and 5 years after the cut the land will sell for the same as others that haven't been cut because in Iowa most don't consider timber value . Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Top Bottom