Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Have you heard a buck roar??

vike4life

PMA Member
I took my son out the other day trying to shoot his first with a bow. We saw lots of action and prerut activity. There was a buck about 50 yds away and he started to grunt and was real interested in something on the other side of the fence that we couldn't see. He then started a continuos grunt that easily lasted 30 seconds or more and got louder as it went. At the end he would lunge or false charge at whatever was on the otherside of the fence and brush. This happened 5 or 6 times! I have never heard a buck do this before. Is this what the buck roar call is supposed to immitate? Anyone heard this before?

Last year I had a real small buck roaring like crazy. I could not believe he was doing that. Just straight up roaring. I have heard several bucks do it. I had a big buck the other day snort wheeze. First time I really heard it well. I snort wheezed back at him and he came right in but it was too dark.

I have never heard a deer roar, but several years back I had 3 bucks crossing a field about 300 yards from my stand. I have a buck roar call and tried it and it stopped them in their tracks and they looked in my direction. They started on thier way again so I called again and they stopped. The third time I called one of the bucks headed my way on a dead run. After losing sight of him in the timber he back doored me and was about 20 yards away with out a shot. The call made a believer out of me.

I've been hunting deer for 50 years & heard a buck roar two years ago for the first time. I wasn't even sure what it was at the time as the sound came from a brushy draw about 25 yards away. About 5 minutes after I heard it a beat up battle weary buck stepped out of the brush & got a "Rage in the cage". After recovery I discovered that he was a buck I knew fairly well as a decent mature 10. He had been fighting enough that he only had 6/10 left. Thanks to breiner11 taxidermy, he's reconstructed back to what he was on camera.

Once, quite a few years ago now. I was sitting in a tree on a fenceline when over the hill came a mature buck chasing a doe. The doe ran around a cedar tree and kept the cedar between her and the buck. They were about 30 yards from me. It was almost like the buck was irritated that she wouldn't stop. He would do a buck growl and false charge at her to get her to move. It was pretty interesting to watch and listen. It didn't sound like I thought a buck should sound, more like a dog barking. They must've circled that tree 3 or 4 times! It was frustrating too, for me, because I didn't have permission to hunt on the side of the fence the deer were on. All I could do was watch, listen, and hope they crossed the fence, which they didn't!!

I've heard them roar on a couple different occasions with Sunday morning being one of them. It's definitely a sound you don't hear often in the woods.

Never heard a buck roar. Just a lot of grunting and a big 10 pt 2 years ago snort wheeze. That was pretty cool. He just looked really pissed off and the hair on his back just stood up as he snort wheezed at about 60 yards

I heard it twice this year. The first time I couldn't tell what was going on but I saw a big buck through the brush on a rye field chasing does. The second was last Sunday morning. A mature buck pushed a doe through a pasture and roared at her as she squatted to pee. He was nearly 300 yards away and I could hear it plain as day. Maybe he was just pissed that she wasn't ready for what he was planning on doing. Been there, done that!

So is that what I heard? A super long grunt that increases in intensity is a buck roar? Or was this something else? 30 years hunting and still experienceing something new! Awesome!

Watched a big old 8 I had nicknamed "The Terminator" gore to death a 160 inch ten pointer that I made a bad hip shot on two days earlier. The hip shot wasn't lethal, but the 10 had a bad limp and The Terminator saw a chance to move up the breeding hierarchy ladder and engaged the 10 in a fight to the death. Once he knocked him to the ground he continually drove his antlers into the ten pointers chest and was ROAORING THE ENTIRE TIME. I never witnessed anything that brutal in the whitetail world in my life. The terminator became the dominant buck on the farm....breeding and fighting everything that crossed his path......my older brother got him towards the end of the season.

Watched a big old 8 I had nicknamed "The Terminator" gore to death a 160 inch ten pointer that I made a bad hip shot on two days earlier. The hip shot wasn't lethal, but the 10 had a bad limp and The Terminator saw a chance to move up the breeding hierarchy ladder and engaged the 10 in a fight to the death. Once he knocked him to the ground he continually drove his antlers into the ten pointers chest and was ROAORING THE ENTIRE TIME. I never witnessed anything that brutal in the whitetail world in my life. The terminator became the dominant buck on the farm....breeding and fighting everything that crossed his path......my older brother got him towards the end of the season.

Wowsers...that had to be an unbelievable thing to witness!!

NWBuck

Did you tag the 10??

Top Bottom