Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hazelnut harvest

turkeyriver

PMA Member
There was a question on here awhile back about planting hazelnut shrubs. I planted some in a riparian buffer in 2002. They were hard to get started, most died off and then grew back from the root. Because of this and the fact that deer love to browse them, they were way behind the other varieties of shrubs. Anyway, I was down there yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see a pretty good hazelnut crop on the largest plants. As the rest of them mature, next year's harvest should be better. Preety good flavor and easy to crack and eat. If you planted some, they're worth the effort to save.

A buck decided that the hazelnuts looked like a good place to start making rubs this past week. He snapped most of them off.
frown.gif

I planted 50 seedlings this year and they all made it. I planted a row with rotating 6 hazelnuts then 6 service berrys(june berrys). The deer ate most of the service berry leaves off and left the hazels alone. The hazels sure had extensive root systems compared to the service berry plants. Not sure what the mature plants will look like, but both should produce fruit that both me and the criters can eat. I'm sure next year they will be getting to the size the bucks will be working them over. In town my neighbor has a hazelnut which is about 15 feet tall with maybe 50 stocks growing up, is this what these typically turn into? Looks like great cover!

Top Bottom