Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

He Slipped Me Archery.....Not Gun

C

canjo

What a tremendous year it has been. After being fortunate enough to tag a nice buck on video Oct. 30, I decided to take the Knight Vision Muzzleloader out opening morning gun season. For any of you who were out there, you know what an adventure that weather was (even with a pop up blind)!! The morning started off great. We got settled in the blind next to a sweet little bedding area, and as we started to thaw and dry, a few does filtered in. Minutes later we heard a few gun blasts not far away and a few more does showed, followed by a decent eight pointer. I'm not normally the type to pass any decent buck, though I always tell myself and friends I am going to. Seems adrenaline always gets the best of me!!
For some reason, Saturday morning I let him walk. Maybe a hour or so later, after my camera man caught some wonderful footage of me peeing in the blind, (not sure we'll ever grow up), I hear those words you love to hear.
"Buck coming, Big Buck, Shooter"
It always seems to happen quite fast, but as I lower my gun and get him in the scope I can tell he is easily good enough for me. The buck seems fairly calm as he trots in. He stops quartering to at 97 yards (we ranged it after the shot), and although much of his body is behind the tree, I have all of his near shoulder and a bit more available to me. With the crosshairs settled in solid I touched it off. It felt like a good smooth shot.
After the smoke finished rolling out the windows (think cheech and chong)we reviewed the video and believed that the deer was hit, and indeed after a bit of tense tracking, he was. The copper sabot found it's mark perfectly and the deer had died within 75 yards. What a Deer!! I'm no good with pics so....the pic and others from our season can be found on our field blog at http://realhunting.us/serendipity/

Enjoy

Congrats to all of you that have already scored. Your posts keep me fired up all season long.

Canjo
http://www.realhunting.us

Top Bottom