Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heater Body Suit Question???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So I know I read something about this a couple times a year BUT I can't recall what I've read since I didn't pay that close of attention. Considering getting one. I HATE getting cold with a passion, I sit on stand ALL day at certain times of the year and with bitter WIND- I have yet to find something that will really keep me warm. One more time....

-Do they really keep you warm OR do they just reduce the chill?

-I JUST got cabela's MT050 camo which is the heaviest and best reviews I could find (plus I got some wind stopping stuff as another layer. i'm sure there's other awesome camo out there too BUT this seemed good). Parka & bibs. Question- will this Heater Body suit keep me warmer than what I bought?

-I have -150 degree pack boots, massive mittens, heavy duty stuff- STILL GET COLD. Heater body do a better job and make it much better?

-Is the Heater Body Suit good for bowhunting? I don't do much gun hunting and need to be ready for a shot fast with the bow- is it good for that? (clumsy, pain in the rear, anything?). I only hunt in Treestand (no blinds or anything to shield you which OF COURSE keep you warm since you're out of wind/elements).

Everything I've bought is "the best for keeping you warm" (when it comes to staying warm- I'm not rich but I don't care what it costs) BUT literally NOTHING has done that and really kept me real warm. Will this sucker really work?

Thanks for the input!!!

Never tried the heater body suit, but wool has worked well for me with Rivers West overtop to block any wind. I have debated for a while on getting a heater body suit...still waiting for someone to convince me :D

I got a heater body suit last season and used it in the late season. I have had the best bibs, coats, boot blankets(good), but nothing compares to the HBS. Yes it will keep you WARM, even in high wind. It is the only thing I have that will keep me warm in late season with wind. I only bow hunt out of it and the only downfall I could see would be if a deer came running through and you could not zip out fast enough to grab your bow and ready for a shot. If you ever have deer around you for a period of time and you're holding your bow for a long time, while zipped out of it you may get cold until you can get zipped back in it. It is big and you have to move yor feet slow on the stand, but once you get used to it I love mine!
Although very expensive, well worth it IMO.
Nick

Yep it keeps you extremely warm. In fact, I typically wear only a sweatshirt when in mine. Great thing about that is when the time comes, you're not bundled up looking like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man and all restricted in your movement. It rolls up like a sleeping bag and is then secured with a strap that has 2 loops which you use like a backpack. It's really lightweight. There are 2 negatives:

1.) Can be slightly tricky getting into it once in the stand but if you're pretty spry, no problem.
2.) The zipper, although quiet in it's design, is still a zipper and I worry about noise but haven't had a problem so far. Mine got more quiet after the first few uses and there's definetly a right and wrong way to open it.

The positives far outweigh the few negatives and it's one of the best purchases I've made for all day sits in particular.

I got one in the mail last week and was surprised that it weighed 15 pounds. Im sure it will keep you warm, but seems like standing on a treestand platform would scare me to death. I guess practice will make it easier. Not sure if its worth 370 dollars, but it appears to be very well made. Time will tell.

I prefer the "Cacoon" over the body suit. Much easier to get into,much, much lighter, and it doesnt let all of your body heat escape when you need to shoot.They make them now with Gortex for a wind break. I love mine and know a bunch of people that have one and swear by them.

I got one in the mail last week and was surprised that it weighed 15 pounds. Im sure it will keep you warm, but seems like standing on a treestand platform would scare me to death. I guess practice will make it easier. Not sure if its worth 370 dollars, but it appears to be very well made. Time will tell.

After reading your post I had to take one out of the box and weigh it. NO Way they weigh 15lbs. I just weighed the Large-Wide (basically the middle size) and it weighed 8.8lbs.

I will say I have never used a HBS, just became a dealer this year. But I really believe these will be the ticket for those that just can't keep warm or if you sit long sits late season. We had one out of the box a few weeks back trying it on and what not. They seem really warm and a lot less cumbersome than I would have thought.

The only problem I see would be getting in and out of one while in a tree. Like others have said a few times out and you will get the hang of it. Safety Harness is a must. I liked how they folded back and out of the way when you unzip them. Very manueverable and would probably make shooting a bow easier than with big bulky clothes on.

I think a guy can dress reasonably light and then just snuggle into the suit.

Justin

a friend of mine uses the hbs and he swears by it. said he used it as cold as -15 and was able to sit comfortably. im in the same boat thinking about getting one. i have a friend who has one and doesnt like it and he may let me try it first before i fork out the 300 for one...but my friend who uses it says he wont go without it..said one time he actually unzipped it to get out and he could see the steam coming out of it from his body heat...that was when it was on the -15 area....im gonna try it

Here are my concerns.
1) Size - In the demo pictures the guy wearing it sticks out like a sore thumb.
2) Manuverability - Large item on average size stand can ecome a little dangerous
3) Scent Control - Opening it and allowing all the scent to escape could ruin a hunt

These are just concerns on my part. Let me know if you can put my mind to ease.

Here are my concerns.
1) Size - In the demo pictures the guy wearing it sticks out like a sore thumb.
2) Manuverability - Large item on average size stand can ecome a little dangerous
3) Scent Control - Opening it and allowing all the scent to escape could ruin a hunt

These are just concerns on my part. Let me know if you can put my mind to ease.

String-Gun,
I don't use one of these things so I can't really comment on the other points, but I wouldn't be too worried about letting all the scent escape because there is no way that you are keeping it in with regular clothes- scent blocker or not. It just can't be done.

I agree about the scent. Your not keeping your scent in with regular clothes anyway.

Get the Predator Deception camo and you won't have any problems with sticking out.

Heater Body Suit

I have a HBS for sale. XL Tall/ Wide. I've had it for about 4-5 years.
Works good but to big for me. I have another one coming tomorrow.
It's been used about 6 times $175.

I just bought 2 of the HBS. My son who is 9 wore his the Saturday that it got down to 38 and the wind was blowing 20 mph. Also it was snowing to beat the band. For whoever payed the $370.00 for the HBS you got took. I might suggest trying Buck Hollow, I payed $269.00 for mine.

I have been using a HBS now for almost 8 years. I love mine. It can't be beat for staying warm while bowhunting on stand all day in cold weather. The thing I love about it the most is the ability to shoot in lighter weight clothing without all the bulk of heavy layers trying to stay warm. My primary reason for getting it years ago was I could NOT shoot accurately with my recurve in bulky clothing and was loosing alot of confidence during cold weather shooting.

I overheat very easily... so I have a very hard time walking to my stand without perspiring some.... I love being able to carry a lighter jacket with me and the HBS to put on once in my stand.

As far as putting it on it is not difficult unless you are overweight ;) ... you just secure your safety harness then sit down in your stand. Put the booties on first then slip your legs into the suit like putting a pair of coveralls or pants on. Then secure the should straps by crossing them over your chest and you are ready to zip up if desired or leave the top open and upperbody exposed. A lot of the time I can hunt out of mine only zipped up to my waist. You will only need a light pair of gloves or none at all or your hands will sweat while inside the suit.

I find that I like to use mine anytime the air temp. is forecasted to be 40 degrees or lower. I generally can stay warm without too much bulk if temps are over 40.

Last year I shot my buck at midday while using it. It was snowing hard and I had approx. 1/2" of snow coated to mine on the outside. My buddy and his dad were back at a local restaurant trying to warm up from the morning's hunt..... I love hunting cold weather in it. :way:

Not to hijack but related. I haven't used an HBS but I have used the thermacare heat pads on my shoulders in windy weather down close to zero. Cost is just a couple $ and they keep your shooting muscles loose and can get almost too warm. Also, sticking a handwarmer/toe warmer in your hat really warms the blood. All without any bulk.

Top Bottom