Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heater Body Suit test

dbltree

Super Moderator
I recieved a Heater Body Suit as a gift and tested it out yesterday morning. The temp was minus 7 when I got out of the truck and the forecast called for minus 11 by daybreak but anywhay you call it, it was COLD!

I read somewhere that somebody walked to their stand in one of these so since I was able to walk down a snow covered back road with only a 40 yard walk into a ladder stand I decided to give it a try.

Not real easy to get into one of these things only because my boots tended to catch on the material and once on and the shoulder straps in place it won't stay zipped up while walking. Still I was able to walk to my stand but then found it nearly impossible to pick my legs up high enough to step up to each step, so I wouldn't advise wearing in to a tree stand.

Once in the stand however, it performed as advertised and kept me comfortable. I did wear all of my standard heavy cold weather clothes and boots and had chemical toe warmers on my feet.

One doesn't actually have to unzip it to shoot, simply push slightly with you hands and it easily unzips. It unzips almost too easily and once in a while I had to pull the zipper up again but not really a major problem.

About 9:30 I saw a buck coming my way and was able to easily open my "cocoon" and reach for the muzzy and put the crosshairs on the animal.

Thankfully it wasn't a shooter cause I wasn't looking forward to gutting an animal in this brutally cold weather.I stayed til about 11:00 a.m. at which point my feet were getting a little chilly but not extremely uncomfortable by any means.

Getting out of it was a little like getting in and one wants to be safely strapped in to get in and out of one of these things in a tree stand. The harness and strap that comes with it is perhaps functional but beyond that IMO impractical for most hunters.

Walking out I pulled my face mask down and within seconds my skin was burning and it was even difficult to breathe so were not talking about a "chilly morning and without the HBS I would never have ventured out.

I couldn't carry my backpack and the HBS so one would need a small pack frame to carry both perhaps but I just put all of my "junk" in my coat pockets.

The HBS isn't for everyone and I would rather not have to monkey with it duing normal fall weather but in brutally cold weather it is an awesome tool!

Heater Body Suit

The only problem I see is that I no longer have an excuse not to go hunting this time of year...:rolleyes::D

Great review and thanks for the information. I have been thinking about taking the plunge on one of these but believe that I may be alright without one. Some seem to think my internal thermometer is off.... just a week ago (12/30) when my camera man was in full cold weather gear I was in an under armour cold gear and a long sleeve fleece henley. Maybe it is just my adrenalin in anticipation of a shooter buck, who knows.

It does however sound like a great solution for someone like myself who would sweat on the walk in with more than 2 layers on no matter the temp. Simply dress light and pack this in and put it on once in the stand.

Thanks again for the info.

Great review! It'll be after season when I make my purchases for next year, HBS will be one of those purchases! Thanks Paul!

Great review. I own one but haven't had it out in extreme cold yet. I was out in the 20's for an all day sit wearing only an UnderArmour cold weather shirt and my standard camo pants and was toasty. Good to hear it makes the grade in the real cold stuff.

I own one as well. I can't imagine walking in this snow wearing the suit; much less trying to climb a tree. I only use climbing stiks, and still would never attempt that! I love mine, but pack it in with the shoulder straps; then stay on the ground this time of year. Like dbltree said; it's sorta clumsy to try to put on in a treestand with heavy clothes and boots on. Even in milder weather my Bearclaws would grab the sides while putting it on, and taking it off. I wore mine Monday facing a 10mph north wind, and was warm as toast for 5 hrs. Just my face got cold, but i forgot a face mask. It does make you sweat more packing it on your shoulders in deep snow, but if you walk slowly it isn't overly cumbersome.

Wearing the boot covers can really help to avoid the boot snagging issues when putting on and taking off the suit. Aside from the obvious benefit of keeping mud and gunk out of the suit itself.

Wearing the boot covers can really help to avoid the boot snagging issues when putting on and taking off the suit. Aside from the obvious benefit of keeping mud and gunk out of the suit itself.
No; actually the boot covers make it more cumbersome to me. It's almost impossible to pull your boots out of the legs with the boot covers still on.

I have used mine a ton the last couple weeks in double digit below zero temps at times. I never got a bit cold.
Anything extra to carry is a pain, but I think the suit is well worth it and I don't find it hard to just hold with one arm if I have to much on my back. I have also used the straps on my back over top of my backpack and hardly knew it was there.
It is a great investment for anyone who loves extreme cold weather hunting like I do.

after the past couple years, I will be owning one for next year!
Good stuff Paul!

No; actually the boot covers make it more cumbersome to me. It's almost impossible to pull your boots out of the legs with the boot covers still on.

That's what i found also? I tried putting them on and then couldn't get into the HBS at all, so I gave up and took the boot covers off.

I may have to try it in the living room and see if I'm doing something wrong but they sure didn't seem to fit the other morning....:confused:

I have used mine for 2 yrs now and don't seem to have any problems getting my legs in and out. Just a little technique/practice. Put the booties on, slide right leg first, then left. When taking it off you just grab the pointy part of the heel and pull. I always wear the booties though. Tonight I had 2 inches of snow piled up on it and was toasty. My only complaint is the zipper sliding down a little every time I turn my head. Anybody have a solution for that? Overall I love it.:way:

I have used mine for 2 yrs now and don't seem to have any problems getting my legs in and out. Just a little technique/practice. Put the booties on, slide right leg first, then left. When taking it off you just grab the pointy part of the heel and pull. I always wear the booties though. Tonight I had 2 inches of snow piled up on it and was toasty. My only complaint is the zipper sliding down a little every time I turn my head. Anybody have a solution for that? Overall I love it.:way:

Bout the same way I do it with similar results. Know what you mean about the zipper. Only thing I've found that seems to help some is to hike the whole suit upward right before I sit down so I have as much "slack" as possible in the upper half of the suit...almost like trying to make flood pants out of it. :D

Once seated I push the suit outward at my belly area which kinda makes the upper portion of the suit/zipper angle back toward my neck. In that position it seems to stay in place better plus it makes it feel roomier inside. IDK, people seem to be experiencing different things but maybe give that a shot?

I'll try pulling the feet on as mentioned and see if that works better and I'm wondering about some kind of button or small hook to hook the zipper string onto?

It certainly is easy to "open" when you need to shoot but kind of a pain zipping it back up everytime I move a little.

Yeah; i don't have a problem getting into the suit. But i have a heck of a time getting that right foot out sitting in a treestand. I usually unzip the suit all the way and free my left foot. Then there is so much suit along with me on the stand; i can only use my left foot to stand on the heel of the right foot and pull my leg out. I can't seem to pull my right leg out while sitting in my stand. I have to stand up. Maybe i'm just too fat; or out of shape. That's a minor inconvience though for the comfort of sitting for hours in cold weather.

i slide the suit up around my face[under the nose and ears] which allows easier head turning and the zipper seems to stay up better.in the artic weather we've had this year the hbs is the best investment i've made in a long time!

Anybody tried tieing an HBS to the Badlands pack? Might be a good way to transport your "junk" and the hbs in and out of the stand.

Top Bottom