Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Heel kick!

So my daughter shoots a nice buck,would be her biggest to date, the last day of early muzzleloader season near the end of legal shooting hours, the buck jumps about three feet off the ground and gives the heel kick,about a 100 yard shot, which is usually the death kick everytime ive seen it happen,and we have killed alot of deer, the buck bolts about 25 yards stops and looks towards us and then just walks in to the thick fence line. being it was late I decided to come back the following morning. A buddy and I tracked him about 120 yards following only small amounts of bright red blood with a couple spots where he stopped and there were leaves full of blood, well the trail ended and we lost him, we walked around for a few hours and nothing, i just ran back out there and started at last blood and walked some more and still empty handed, I would love to find this buck for my daughter but i am having my doubts and starting to think i am going to have to wait for the crows or vultures to key in on it, or do you guys think maybe its still alive????? Like I said i have shot alot of deer over the past 25 years but this one has got me puzzled to say the least:confused::confused::(

I have seen a similar situation. Deer ended up being brisket shot. Died 24 hours later in a pond. Search water and shade. Good luck!

May have to just keep looking. Any other sign other than blood? Turned up leaves? Any likely places/trails it may have gone? We have tracked a few where the blood seemed to dry up, but just looking at the surroundings we have came back onto the blood by following the most likely path. May have to do a grid search (maybe you already have). Good luck and hope you find him!

May have to just keep looking. Any other sign other than blood? Turned up leaves? Any likely places/trails it may have gone? We have tracked a few where the blood seemed to dry up, but just looking at the surroundings we have came back onto the blood by following the most likely path. May have to do a grid search (maybe you already have). Good luck and hope you find him!

the blood we did find was on a power trail, kept on the trail for quit a while in two different directions ,no other signs, the girls and I are heading back out now to look its very little timber with a open bean field and a small crp field to the south with some brush trees

How much powder and which bullet were you using?

If it was a low charge such as 50 grains and in the shoulder he might not die.

The other thing I've personally had happen is that the power belts I shot wouldn't expand with a 100 grain charge of pyrodex pellets. I found a lung shot doe still alive an hour later. I silt her throat. It was a passthrough but never deflated the lungs. Just poked a finer hole through her. I also sighted in with a tree as a backstop after that. We dug 3 out of the tree and they were almost reloadable. I actually took one in and gave it to gander mountain to show customers. I now shoot shockwaves.

Same as always 100 grn. And a 285 grn. Barnes b/t,went back out tonight with the kids and found some blood near a cannal l that feeds a wetland im guessin he crossed and laid down in the water.

How much powder and which bullet were you using?

If it was a low charge such as 50 grains and in the shoulder he might not die.

The other thing I've personally had happen is that the power belts I shot wouldn't expand with a 100 grain charge of pyrodex pellets. I found a lung shot doe still alive an hour later. I silt her throat. It was a passthrough but never deflated the lungs. Just poked a finer hole through her. I also sighted in with a tree as a backstop after that. We dug 3 out of the tree and they were almost reloadable. I actually took one in and gave it to gander mountain to show customers. I now shoot shockwaves.

Weve shot 50 plud deer with 100 grains of powder and the 285 grn. Barnes bullets its a grwat combination I thought for sure I was dishin out $400 for a mount but no luck

Top Bottom