Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hello folks, need some advice on late season

J

Jeepaholic

Finally registered on this site after I've been enjoying some of the pics for a few months now. I live up in NE Iowa and have hunted 2nd shotgun and early muzzleloader seasons. Well this year I thought I'd give the late muzzleloader a try. Since I've never hunted this particular season I was looking for any advice.

I hunt strictly on the ground and have never really done anything other than stillhunting, which has worked for me throughout the years. A lot of public land to hunt and some private as well. Was thinking with all the hunting pressure that would be on them with the two shotgun seasons that the deer would be looking to get back into feeding patterns and bulk up for winter.

Well if it is a cold January with snow on the ground (and you can get that jeep to start), I suggest you find a alfalfa field and post up around it. Alfalfa stays green most all winter and the deer will dig through the snow to get it, especially on South facing hills where it warms enough to melt some snow. As far as walking up on deer, usually after the slug seasons they are very people shy and bolt without a 2nd look back. Personally I have had good luck doing this from ground blinds, but I am sure the food source depends upon your area and how severe the winter is.
beerchug.gif

Good Luck
IaCraig

Top Bottom