Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hello

october1

Well, after spending the last 40 minutes (I type real slow) typing an introduction, my garbage Vista program crashed right after I cut and pasted one word so I didn't have a chance to copy to 'save' it. I absolutely hate Vista!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: So I guess I will just keep it short and say hello!

I also wanted to mention that several years ago on another Iowa site made me feel very unwelcome just by reading all the hostility and bitterness toward non-residents so I didn't even bother to join, but the people on here seem real nice so I joined. I was also hoping some of you would be willing to fill me in on Poweshiek county for deer hunting in the Montezuma area? I have not been hearing good things about the size of the deer there, but that is the only place I have permission to hunt. It's 1,000 acres, but there is very little cover and I'm told that's why the deer don't live long enough to get very big there. Considering the price of a Non-resident tag :eek: I would like to be relatively sure of what I would be getting into.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I have a property that I hunt in Poweshiek County. There are some great areas but it varies from property to property. If it is protected from the masses it has the potential to produce some great deer even if it does not have heavy cover. Feel free to send me a PM and I can discuss it more with you.

As far as non-resident acceptance, you shouldn't have any problems here. We have some very valued members that are non-residents that we wouldn't be the same without. We all share the same passion regardless of state lines. The only non-residents that I have see struggle here are the ones who boldly argue how things should change. This seems to stir the emotions of many residents. Based on the courtesy in your first post. I don't see you having any issues.

Once again, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing your Poweshiek County buck harvest photo!:way:

Welcome! I'll second what Bowman wrote, I think he nailed it. Just don't insinuate, or state outright, that we Iowans are ignorant, selfish, etc, and I think we will all get along just fine.

Good luck hunting in Iowa!

Welcome! I'll second what Bowman wrote, I think he nailed it. Just don't insinuate, or state outright, that we Iowans are ignorant, selfish, etc, and I think we will all get along just fine.

Good luck hunting in Iowa!

I'm not the type to attack people like that. I like to get along and make friends with other hunters and be helpful when I can.

The hostility and bitterness I was referring to was mainly due to people having to share the woods with other hunters or losing a place to hunt altogether because of leasing by non residents (& I think guides). Another complaint was that non residents were buying up land and driving up prices. They said you were lucky if you could find land for a $1,000 an acre. There was a lot of talk like this and plenty of explanation points. I thought to myself; Man... if I join that forum and say high from Michigan I'm going to get lambasted!!! So I didn't join or even look for another Iowa forum (I should have).

When I received permission to hunt a farm (two actually) I looked around and found this forum. I looked around on this site before joining and did not see any of the negativity I had seen on that other site. So I joined and I look forward to getting on here whenever I get a chance.

P.S. Nobody will have to worry about this poor boy buying or leasing land. LOL Even if I could afford to do so I would want at least one local to hunt it just to keep an eye on it for me.

Last edited:
If you have time and interest I would suggest reading through the many, some of them are long, threads in Dbltree's corner in the Habitat Management area. There is a great amount of information to be found there, better than any book I have seen on the subject of habitat improvement and management.

There are several very knowledgeable posters here that support that forum in particular with some great info. Hopefully some trail cam pics start showing up soon too, people will be putting their cams out and getting pics of this years crop of bucks soon.

Nobody better than Bowman to help you with the lay of the land. Welcome and Good luck with your Iowa chase.

have you even been to the property to scout it over? about the worst thing you will read on here is the crappy posts from hawkeye fans. if you can put up with that garbage, you will be fine
;)

If you have time and interest I would suggest reading through the many, some of them are long, threads in Dbltree's corner in the Habitat Management area. There is a great amount of information to be found there, better than any book I have seen on the subject of habitat improvement and management.

There are several very knowledgeable posters here that support that forum in particular with some great info. Hopefully some trail cam pics start showing up soon too, people will be putting their cams out and getting pics of this years crop of bucks soon.

Before I joined this forum I read quite a bit from Dbltree because I absolutely LOVE habitat improvement and management. I was surprised by how knowledgeable he is. When it comes to habitat management and especially food plots, I am used to being the one that can always help people with quality information when no one else can. However, Dbltree does such a good job answering questions on here that he has pretty much made me feel useless already and I haven't made a single post there yet. LOL Maybe I will get a chance to talk to him some day. I can talk a whole lot faster than I can type. ;) In the meantime I will just read his posts as well as those from everyone else.

I look forward to reading as many posts in the habitat forum as I can. No matter how many hours you put into it over the years, it seems there is always something more to learn! I don't have a lot of time right now (I shouldn't even be on here right now), but I want to read through as many posts in the habitat improvement and management section as possible. I doubt I will come close to reading it all because there is a lot of habitat posts on here. In fact, I was surprised by how good of a habitat section you have on here considering Iowa is covered in agriculture.

So far this looks like a very good site with members that are above average in knowledge. Thanks for welcoming me into the fold. :)

have you even been to the property to scout it over? about the worst thing you will read on here is the crappy posts from hawkeye fans. if you can put up with that garbage, you will be fine
;)

Not yet. I have never been to Iowa before. I have only looked over the property using various aerials and topo's. I have never even met the people that were so kind as to give me permission to hunt. I have only talked to them on the phone after a friend that used to pheasant hunt there gave me their contact info. The guy with the big farm even offered to let me stay in a cabin he has on the property to save me some money. Super nice people.

welcome from another non resident. this is the site to be i will second. i have found all the guys in here to be above and beyond when it comes to help. a couple guys from here met up with me when i was down there in 08 and helped me find my buck and believe me where he could have fell i needed all the help i could have got...the neg does come from the guys who think Iowa should change for them. no way i wish i could hunt every year too but believe me i wouldnt want the state to change there ways.. I only wish more states would have followed back in the day my state ( Wis) included..we are ruined for now and thats why the anticipation of drawing an Iowa tag is so exciting for me...Also the downside is not getting drawn but i can still hunt here it isnt like i cant at all...so welcome bud...

Welcome to the site!!! Goodluck when you get drawn, I know nothing about that area unfortunately but I am sure someone does :)

Top Bottom