Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help me identify these oaks

iowabucks

Hey everyone, got a new property to hunt and found a few oaks on a ridge next to a cornfield. I took some pictures and and figured they were all the same type of oak. But they don't quite look the same.

The first oak seems to have skinnier and more pointy leaves, while the second tree seems to have a more rounded tip to the leaves.

I'm not an expert at tree identification, but with what research I have found on the internet the one with the pointy leaves looks like a pin oak and one with the rounded ends on the leaves looks to be a white oak. Am I correct. I know white oaks are the ones deer seem to prefer over all the rest.

Both those pics are a quercus alba...aka "white oak". Lower leaves like in the 2nd pic are not always true to form so to speak since they can get less sunlight.

Most all red oaks have pointy leaves so without a pic. Shingle oak is probably the only red oak you will find that does not have pointy leaves.

Both are white oak? I thought the leaves looked different enough to both be different species. Am I wrong?

The 2nd oak looks like an alba as well as the first one. Get some pictures of those acorns on the 2nd oak to be certain. Bark looks the same on the 2nd as the first one.

Top Bottom