Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help needed

Nope arrows still in the deer.
I was starting to run low on light. So you could be right. There's a possibility that at the angle of the shot it went threw the bone and went down and got stuck in the other leg.
I really believe it was dead center of shoulder but low.
I don't know what to think.

Nope arrows still in the deer. I was starting to run low on light. So you could be right. There's a possibility that at the angle of the shot it went threw the bone and went down and got stuck in the other leg. I really believe it was dead center of shoulder but low. I don't know what to think.

The only hit that will slow a deer down is guts and liver. Either he whirled on your shot or the excitement jarred your memory. The only other thing would be a deflection off a branch to redirect the arrow back.

If you blasted a shoulder and hit the off leg you would have knocked him on his nose, literally.

He didn't bleed because your exit hole was plugged from guts. Even though you don't have the arrow it in all likelihood stuck out the other side.

My neighbor last night literally made this same shot and also described the deer as broadside(he was certain of it) 3 hours last night and 2 more this morning we found him. He ran approximately 800-1000 yards. The arrow entered nearly on the shoulder 1/3 the way up and exited low in the intestines(pretty severe quarter if you ask me). Horrible blood trail, majority was following scuffed up leaves. 7 total beds. The deer made a big U.

Hoosier hunter so do u believe I killed this deer from the information present. The last spot of blood it looked like he was going to a high timber (a little ways from the creek) (the 2 are connected by a grass strip)

Yes. Went through willows. He went in and out. I couldn't see where he went out. From my stand. Picked up blood trail. A few drops on the grass strip (driveway) Leading to a high timber. Did not go through High timber.......yet

If you had decent blood to start, he probably went to that next timber and bedded down. Even if he wasn't fatally hit, I'm sure he probably bedded down if he was losing blood.

If Hoosier is correct, that's a dead deer and will be tough to find. A gut shot deer can go a long ways! I've seen it myself. My brother gut shot one years ago that we trailed all afternoon. We would find blood then lose it, then find it in another random spot only to lose it again. That buck ended up going about a half mile in one direction and made a big loop and came back about a quarter mile where we eventually found him dead. Personally, I wouldn't give up yet.

Going to talk to neighbor. (Who owns the high timber)Then hopefully search the high timber. Not a huge timber so shouldn't take long.

I'm sure Ill ruffle a few feathers with this but legally you dont have to ask your neighbor permission. Time is ticking - especially if your in the part of the state with rain!

Hoosier hunter so do u believe I killed this deer from the information present. The last spot of blood it looked like he was going to a high timber (a little ways from the creek) (the 2 are connected by a grass strip)

If he was quartering to you and got anywhere in the actual body he's 99.99% dead and it's just a matter of time. I killed a buck in 2011 that we know was gut shot low on Nov 11th(talked to the neighbor and the wound was visible). Entry and exit hole were about 8 inches apart. I killed him on Dec 10. He had lost around 60 pounds the best we would tell. Figured 240 FD pre shot and 180 when I killed him. If it was quartering away then I would say he still alive and it's a matter of whether infection gets him down the road. I lost two does with hard quartering away shots in 2013. Both arrows busted the front shoulder and exited the brisket. One doe lived(forward of the lungs even) and I have pictures of her the next summer with the rage wound in her shoulder and coming out the neck. The other doe died(definitely took out one lung)and was recovered shed hunting. We blood trailed her for 2200 yards according to google earth. I lost the blood and ended up finding her about 400 yards from where I lost blood. She was making a big circle.

Our blood trail was bad and he was shooting a muzzy. The knock of fixed blade broad heads would be a gut shot animal because they tend to live much longer before expiring. Expandables basically create double the wound Chanel thus making them very sick much sooner.

I'm sure Ill ruffle a few feathers with this but legally you dont have to ask your neighbor permission. Time is ticking - especially if your in the part of the state with rain!

If you are actively following a blood trail unarmed you may not, but if you are still carrying a weapon or you are doing a blanket search, you do need permission to trespass. Sure would be a good place for a trained tracking dog... oh yea, not legal in Iowa (yet)... :confused:

Going to talk to neighbor. (Who owns the high timber)Then hopefully search the high timber. Not a huge timber so shouldn't take long.

Check every blown down. I'd guess him to stop in the tall grass or be as close to water as he could be. Very rarely have I encountered a deer that was hit bad and stopped in mature open timber. They usually go to the thickest tallest nastiest stuff they can find.

Have you thought about bringing in a tracking dog?

Not in the high timber. No blood no deer. Got that done before rain got here. There's only 2 options left. He kept on the drive way and crossed the road away from creek. Or he went in the taller grass. And circled back to creek.

I did ask permission. Which was greatly appreciated. (He even went with me) that may turn into a future spot where I have permission. Because I asked.

I'm about to give up on the search.

I think we have a live deer with a busted shoulder. And an arrow sticking threw his body.

We hunt this same area during 1st gun then I can break out the machine gun.(Remington 1100 with extended mag)
Hehehe then it will get real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in the high timber. No blood no deer. Got that done before rain got here. There's only 2 options left. He kept on the drive way and crossed the road away from creek. Or he went in the taller grass. And circled back to creek.

Those would be the next two areas to look before giving up. Also do you run cameras in the area? If so, load up on that property and try to get some pics in the next couple weeks while hunting him as your target.

Hunted same location as I shot that buck. Same group of does. And the same buck that the big buck(the one I shot) ran off. He was bumping does. I have a feeling I killed that buck. I'm just grasping at straws on where to look. I go threw the shot over and over in my head. Just has dead deer written all over it.

What is the reasoning they wont allow tracking dogs in Iowa? They could set it up that it is only legal with registered trackers and they would have to be licensed or whatever. Seems like there would be a solution where everyone wins and it wouldn't be abused.

What is the reasoning they wont allow tracking dogs in Iowa? They could set it up that it is only legal with registered trackers and they would have to be licensed or whatever. Seems like there would be a solution where everyone wins and it wouldn't be abused.

Not to take away from the OP, but I think you would have to set pretty stringent requirements (possibly a quota on number of owners/dogs) or everyone and their dog (pun intended) would try to get registered just so they could be "legal". Would need good penalties for abusing it too.

Top Bottom