Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help on new trail cam

justinredig

Hey guys,

I'm gonna get into the trail camera game this year and see how it goes. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on my first, basically because i'm around public land and even though i'm not too worried about getting it stolen, with tresspassers ya never know. (say <200-250). What do you suggest and why. Trigger speed, flash, IR, etc... Thanks.....

Probably what you will hear the most of from trail cam guys on this site is to build your own. There is a locked "hombrew 101 forum in the trail cam forum. Quality and price you simply can't get any better than a homebrew.

Market wise i would think the new moultrie's, which would also fit the bill for you.

As mentioned, homebrews are by FAR my favorite way to go but there's an undeniable learning curve when getting into them and it involves a significant amount of time. It seems like most of the lower end and even middle of the road priced production cams are lacking at least one feature (trigger, detection distance, flash range, battery life, etc). If I'm forced to choose the most important aspect of a cam it would be trigger speed. Battery life is a nice thing too but really a lesser flash range can be aided with free photo enhancing software particularly if you're just wanting to see what's in your area and not framing the pics to put on the wall.

Note: I edited this post because I recommended a cam previously. Now I'm seeing some negative issues that seem to be reported en mass with the newer models so I'm not going to even recommend a particular production cam. Too unpredictable until you get into the higher dollar units.

Top Bottom