Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

help quick

muddy

Hey, this is sort of an emergency.

I'm in charge of supper tonight and I have some duck boobs somebody gave me to try thawing out.

How in the hell do you prepare duck?? I was gunna use my typical lowry's and cajun seasoning and grill them. Any other suggestions? Mind you that it's gotta be quick and easy because that's how my mind works. Oh, and it's gotta involve the grill if possible...or the crockpot, that's easy I think.

At least I have my back up...backstrap!

Thanks in advance.

You've got the right idea Muddy. The only way to cook and eat them is over an open fire!
tongue.gif
Grill away!

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp garlic minced
1/4 C Brown sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ginger
1 T olive oil

Cut breast into strips and Marinate min. 4hrs in fridge in med. size tupperware bowl with lid on.

If you are short on time this won't work but it's the best marinade I've used on waterfowl.

Wrap the marinated breasts in bacon and grill. It's easier if you sorta pre cook the bacon to reduce grill flare-ups. Don't over cook or they become dry. I usually marinate 24 hrs.

If you can put it off until tomorrow you won't be sorry.

I'd say shove a pizza in the oven tonight and grill these babies tomorrow.

Pupster

Muddy, Muddy, Muddy, It ain't how they'er cooked, its the fact you tried. Leave 'em raw and make like you fussed all day and she'll luv ya for the effort.

Youngun's, a fella can preach all day but ya can't make 'em listen.

The 'Bonker

It is how they're cooked cuz I don't want to eat cereal for supper again.
wink.gif

I'll look into that 24 hour marinade thingy and just do the deer backstraps tonight I think. If I HAVE to grill 2 nights in a row so be it.
smile.gif

Pupster has provided the best recipe for duck (and goose) bar none.

Couple things I do different though; quarter up a jalepeno, remove the seeds (that's what makes them hot) and lay a slice next to the strip of duck breast before you wrap it in bacon. Takes away the gamey taste and you can always pull it out if you don't like it.

I also put two sheets of tin foil over the grill because the bacon drips and I always end up burning them.

Try it...you won't believe the taste. Be careful of the BB's!!

Curious, anyone ever try this on a snow goose?

Tomo

MARINATE, AND THEN HIT IT WITH EVERY THING IN THE SPICE RACK...........IF YOUR LUCKY, THE DOG MIGHT EAT IT............
kaboom_spawn.gif
............I HATE DUCK
smokin.gif

Put the duck in the slow cooker and add 1pound bacon,1 quarter pound butter,season salt,garlic powder and any veggys you want.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
grin.gif

The report is in...

Duck is a no go at the Watters' household.
smile.gif

I thought it was fine, in fact I thought it was phenomenal and would be much better with the teriyaki instead of soy, but the wife likes the backstraps better. Oh well. Can't win 'em all!!

Now I don't have to worry about re-taking up duck hunting again and take away from my rut bowhunting. PHEW!!

I'm workin on the duck as i type...got the wife pickig up the other ingrediants...mmmmmm...teriyaki...gotta remember that one

I'm workin on the duck as i type...got the wife pickig up the other ingrediants...mmmmmm...teriyaki...gotta remember that one

Put the breasts over a bed of long grain wild rice in a glass cooking dish, cover with slices of bacon to keep them moist, pour port wine until it comes through the rice. Cover and cook 350deg for 1 hr to1.5 hr depending if you have gas or elec. oven
If you like aspargrass nuke a few of the small stems to serve it up with.

This threw me until I tried it but serve with some fruit preserves dip the fork before you take a bite, Mmmmmm!

Good luck, CH

Muddy,
Sorry it didn't work. 24hrs in the marinade is usually a must. Oh well the marshes are already too crowded!
smile.gif
I'm curious what kind of ducks they were...mergansers or shovelers
wink.gif

You're right, you can't win 'em all!

Pupster

Pupster,
He told me they were black with white bills and green feet, bobbed their head a lot when they swam...
grin.gif

muddy,
The next time cook them fresh. There is nothing like fresh kind of like the tenders on a deer they are still good but don't taste as good as if you pull'em and grill'em.
wink.gif

Well, they marinated for 8 hours and I didn't grill them. We slow baked them in the oven. Like I said I really liked them but she didn't. The guy who gave them to me at work said they were mallard and judging from the size of the boobs they probably were. Duck just has a livery taste that is hard to get rid of I think. Kind've like beer, you gotta acquire a taste for some wild game. She tried it and that was good enough for me.

And, no, they weren't mud hens Limb. When I washed them blood came out, not dirt.
wink.gif
I used to hunt enough duck back in the day to tell the diff between something tasty and something that you let the dog play with.

Coot rule. Opening day of duck season on the marsh was fun. 100's of guys out there, sounds like WW3, and then all of a sudden you hear:

Limb: "Take 'em boys!!"

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Muddy: "Wow, that one was running on top of the water and flapping, he was going ultra fast, I made a great shot!"

Limb: "I'll say you did, you can get 14 more of those tasty little buggers...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

Muddy: "Damn"

grin.gif

I'm always the guy who gets the opening day coot. Oh well, good target practice and even better eating.

Top Bottom