Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help wanted- Video Camera

H

hawkeye68

I am interested in buying a video camera. Any input you have is appreciated. Is 8mm or digital better than the other? Size, compact or larger? Any specific make or model you recommend or dislike? Why?

I have a JVC compact Pro-cision. 50X digital zoom. It is in the VHS C format. My first camcorder was a full size. Good and bad points about each. The older/larger one was great for holding steady without a tripod, but it was a pain to haul around. The new compact one has more features and is easy to throw over your shoulder and haul around. It's harder to hold still without a tripod. My main regret with both is not getting one with a remote. If you want to film your hunting shots, etc. a remote would be a real asset. There's a lot of good brands out there. Pick one that fits your needs best. One last thing, it's a good idea to buy an extra battery while you are at it. That will add to the cost. Good luck.

I've been video taping deer for years, first vhs, then 8mm, then hi 8, now digital. I think digital has a lot going for it. The quality is good. They make really compact recorders now so they are easy to include in a backpack.

I agree that an extra battery is very important. Also carry extra tapes. I hate to be getting something really good then see either the 'end of tape' or 'low battery' signal flashing.

A couple other things to watch for are good image stabilization to minimize image movement on hand held shots and a good optical zoom. The digital zoom just enlarges the pixels so a lot of ditital zoom doesn't do you much good. Optical zoom is how close the lenses bring in the subject. I like at least 20 optical.

There are lots of good cameras out there and the prices keep coming down. You need to just look around. I'd about rather forget to take my bow than to forget my video camera.

I guess it is important to know what your intended use is going to be, filming deer, family,surveillance, filiming a golf swing what?
If you want the best buy the Cannon that replaces the L-1 it will do anything you want and is broadcast quailty. Their is another camera made in Germany the Morsky X-100 or the Moe 15py but it is very expensive.
Hope Ive been some help........

THE SHOE

Sony has some great new camcorders out (Mini-Dv). About half the size of a palmcorder and also have digital camera capability for still shots. They have carl zeiss lens and are a little pricey ($600+ & up) but are replacing all the old vhs, hi-8, digital 8, etc. They also have a micro mv that will fit in your shirt pocket but has the same options as the mini dv. Check out sony.com for more detail.

Stay away from the Cannon digital cam cord. They are extremly loud when recordiing. I can here it (motor) when I'm inside with the entire family (26 people) around, so I can almost imagine how loud it would be in the woods. It'd be perfect if it was just a little quiter, it has the night vision and all so it would've been a good scouting camera.

I bought a Sony Mini DV trv27 this fall for filming and I was really impressed with the quality of video produced. The Mini DV fomat cameras are great to use around the house for kids birthdays, christmas, etc. Just find one to fit you budget and produce good quality video footage. If you want to produce proffesional video, be prepared to spend in excess of 3 grand. Most of us out there are just after capturing the memories!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom