Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help with a diagnosis please....

bushman

Just pulled a cam and i've got about 100 pics of this girl in the last month. She's really skinny and the cheeks look as though she can't eat. I'm thinking an abbsese or something. Anyone else have any ideas as to what could cause her to be all puffed up in the face? Thanks guys...

picture.php

picture.php

She apperently has a hemotoma.Possibly got clipped by a car and damaged her jaw.Maybe hurt it jumping a fence post.If it were me I would shoot her and end her misery.The meat will not be good though.

My plan is to take her if i get a chance. I've got a couple of 10-15 pictures sets of bedding in front of my cam so i think i know where her bedroom is.

Diagnosis is easy...

she is a cross breed with a chipmunk!! :)

But seriously, she looks a little on the skinny side too. Whatever is ailing her may be preventing her from taking nourishment too. I'd kill her and let her lay.

I thought all the women in Minnesota chewed? Looks like two cans of Copenhagen at a time for her. Looks like its time for root canal.

Ugh! Kill her and let her lay. Hate to do that, but really, what else is there? Unless DNR would want tissue samples or something...

Probably not a hematoma. Looks like impacted cheeks with food material. When I was still seeing pen-raised deer for a client, she had one doe that would do this on occasion. Just had her cheeks full of food material.

As for starving to death??? She looks like a doe that has had a fawn on her all summer. I have a picture of a deer starving to death if one wants to see it. It was a couple of years ago.

Below is a starving deer

Last edited:
Oh my god Shredder! I have never seen an animal that skinny on its feet. That is crazy, hope that thing didn't have to live too long like that.

I don't think its impacted cheeks. Like I said. I have probally 100 pics of this girl and they're al the same like that. Over a 1 month period. That poor buck is seriously skinny.

Yep. She looks skinny but not starving as Shredder pointed out. Also looks like she may have taken an arrow at one point? Check out high rib area in the second pic.

I shot one that looked just like that last year on Nov. 17th. When I cut her open to field dress, her insides smelled terrible like infection. I just let her lay for coyote food, called the harvest number and shredded my tag.

My dad shot one like that a couple of years ago during shotgun season only the absess was at the hip. I have no clue what the diagnosis is, but I can tell you one thing, do not eat them.

Just pulled a cam over the weekend and she's back. After seeing her survive a winter and now twins i'm inclined to go with Shredder's diagnosis. Here's an updated picutre.
2517-big_cheeks.jpg

That is crazy. Looks like she's in pretty good shape! You gonna put an arrow in her this fall if she walks by?

Top Bottom