Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

help!!!

buck160

so i am thinking of putting in some corn beans and oats in a 3 acre plot right now this week, do you guys think that the corn will produce any sort of ear, what about the beans and oats. the corn if it doesnt produce an ear will they eat the leafs. its all free but the work, so im not really out much. whats you opinion?

Its definitely too late for corn, probably the same for beans. At this point I'd focus on oats, peas, and brassicas. That'll give your deer some good fall and winter forage.

Definitely forget the corn & beans, I would wait till the last week of July or first week of August and split the 3 acre plot into brassica, winter wheat and a mix area with some oats in there because they are going to die off at the first good frost and this would leave some food in that area of the plot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">corn beans </div></div>

Hmmmm...

Corn not likely to amount to much and much better options as mentioned, other then it could possibley make a little cover.

Beans however...they will eat the forage no matter when you plant them. They will even make a few beans but either way if the seed is free...let em eat it!

Mix them with the oats...heck it will most likely be like candy to them!

If you throw some in the ground, let us know what happens. Might be interesting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I would be willing to bet that the corn will produce an ear, take it the deer won't eat it to the ground before it gets a chance. The problem you would run into is that the ear wouldn't be "fully" produced before the first frost, damaging the grain, and it will more than likely turn black (the grain). This is due to the kernals are still full of sugar, and hasn't gone into "hardening" or drying down.

Beans will probably do fine right now. You will have frost kill on the top part of the bean, and with the late planting you are greatly reducing your yield of beans, but heck, YOUR FEEDING IT TO DEER.

Oat will definitly be great for the deer.

I say go for it man. I think you will have a nice food plot that will feed the critters later in the year.

Thanks guys, I have made my decision to go ahead and plant the corn, beans and oats and some 6 year old Bio Logic, the biologic was free also. Thanks for all of your opinions, I will keep you informed and take some pics throughout the growing process.

Well I planted my food plot on Saturday. It included corn, beans, oats, some biologic and sorghum. It also rained about an inch so hopefully things will turn out. I will be posting picks when it starts to take off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck160</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I planted my food plot on Saturday. It included corn, beans, oats, some biologic and sorghum. It also rained about an inch so hopefully things will turn out. I will be posting picks when it starts to take off. </div></div>

Keep us posted...if we keep getting plenty of rain it should do pretty well /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Update, the corn, beans, sorghum have popped and are looking good! They are about 2 inches tall. And we have are getting some good rain today. Pics will be coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck160</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update, the corn, beans, sorghum have popped and are looking good! They are about 2 inches tall. And we have are getting some good rain today. Pics will be coming. </div></div>

Sounds like their off to the races!

Looking forward to progress pics /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So does anyone know how to tell the difference between corn and sorghum. It all looks the same to me. UPDATE, the food plot is about 8-10 inches tall and looking very green. I have seen more deer coming to that field than years past I just hope they dont eat everything down before it has a chance to produce something. I keep forgetting my camera so I promise I will get pics within the next couple of days.

Here's a link that might help you identify yout plants: Living Crop Museum

Click on the thumbnails for pics in varying stages of growth

Post some pics and we'll help you out also /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

i had no idea how to post pics on this website, anytime someone wants to explain how to post pics correctly please share.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck160</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had no idea how to post pics on this website, anytime someone wants to explain how to post pics correctly please share. </div></div>

The skinny on pic posting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck160</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree, i emailed them to you. thanks a ton for your help!
</div></div>

Yahoo Mail is apparantly down at the moment but I'll post the pics asap /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

The pics came thru as thumbnails to small to see clearly but what I see appears to be corn...either way looks like it's doing just fine! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Buck160..how did you plant? Till, plant and roll or did you have to do something different with the corn/beans?Thanks.

huntyak, what i did was disked up the hay ground, then took a fertilizer spreader cart with the corn beans sorghum and fertilizer in it and spread it on the disked up ground. Then after the cart was empty we disked up the ground very lightly so that the seeds were about 1/2 an inch under ground. The 3 acres took about an hour to complete.

Top Bottom