Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help!

Whitetailhunter

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and i had a quick question for everyone on what i should do. I bowhunt. I hunt 2 different farms both a few miles apart. So everyone doesnt get confused ill number them #1 and #2. So last year i thought about hunting another spot, that way i could get some pressure off the deer on my #1 location. I asked my Uncle if i could hunt his farm that is 40 acres and he gave me permission. One of my best friends started bowhunting last year and hunts on a neighboring farm. Last year he approached me asking if he could hunt my uncles farm with me. Little can i say he put me right on the spot. So the nice person that i am i said sure i dont really care. (Deep down i really wanted to say NO). I thought maybe he might only hunt it 2-3 times the whole year. After the first weekend he asked i knew this was going to happen. Since the day he asked me if he could hunt that farm with me he hunted it every weekend almost 4 times a weekend, and he rarely hunts his original place anymore. Plus hes always using my stands. During this time i didnt say anything and tried not to make it look like i care, but deep down im getting real ****** off. I said something about making a food plot somewhere and he started thinking of all these ideas. He pretty much assumes that hes going to be hunting it again with me next year. What should i do? any ideas?

Thanks

I really thank you all for reading this and your responses!

Cut the cord or have him pay for the seed for the food plot and tell him you are going to hunt it certain dates. That way he knows not to be in there.

Maybe I am missreading your post, but he asked if he could hunt with you. I assume that means WITH you and only when you are in there as well. If he is going in there when you aren't there, you gave him permission to hunt your unkles land when it should have been your unkle to give the permission. Next thing you know your buddy is giving his buddy permission to hunt with him and his buddy starts showing up all the time too.

Tell your friend not to go in there without you because you don't want your unkle getting ticked at you. Or just tell him he is in there too much and tell him to wait till you are done hunting, then he can have at it. He should understand.

I would tell him that you think the farm is over hunted and getting too much pressure. Either make a plan to manage your time there or tell him it's not going to work out...that one is up to you. But a good way to bring up the topic is to bring up the amount of pressure on the farm.

...or, is this something you should embrace. It sounds like he enjoys hunting and is willing to help with food plots, etc. I know its only 40 acres but does it hunt larger like many tracts do. I personally like sharing my hunts with a good partner. Also, does his old place have potential and could the two of you enhance that spot to double your hunting opportunities? A different perspective.

Just tell him the truth. He over hunted it last year. So this year it will just be you hunting it. He is new to bow hunting and needs to learn there are limits.

You could talk to your uncle about it. Maybe he could be persuaded to lay down some "rules" for next year that would get you out of this tough spot.

Don't drag your uncle into this by lying to your friend. You're not being honest with him or yourself at this point and covering that with a lie to make you feel better about is just plain wrong.

Sack up and tell your buddy how you feel. Work together to find a new farm or two during the offseason and set up a better plan so the two of you can hunt together more effectively.

bukket said:
Don't drag your uncle into this by lying to your friend. You're not being honest with him or yourself at this point and covering that with a lie to make you feel better about is just plain wrong.

Sack up and tell your buddy how you feel. Work together to find a new farm or two during the offseason and set up a better plan so the two of you can hunt together more effectively.

Bukket is right. Lying to your friend is NOT the way to go. I would tell your friend that you think he is over hunting the land AND that you shouldn't have given him permission to begin with since it isn't your land. In the meantime, maybe ask you uncle if he minds if you have a friend hunt with you next year and if he's OK with that make it VERY clear to your friend that he is only hunting WITH you.

Top Bottom