Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Helping our NR friends

moosehunter

PMA Member
Seems like there's 3 or 4 threads every year that relates to tags that lathers up a few NR hunters and a few resident hunters as well. Most informed and passionate bow hunters know and realize that Iowas deerhunting reg's (however they came about) have made this state one of the top destinations for big bucks. Resident or Non resident, were all here on this site for knowledge, friends, or just looking at harvest photo's.

A few years ago I privately offered to help a NR member here with a little scouting public ground. After trading many emails back and forth I got the feeling he was a pretty passionate bow hunter with a modest income mot unlike myself. So in the back of my mind I thought after I actually met him in person, if I got good vibes from him I would invite him along to my hunting spot. In all honesty, it's one of the mosr satisfiying hunting things I have ever done. Not only did he shoot a pretty good deer that year but more importantly I hopefully made a new friend for life.

Bowman mentioned on the (news letter) thread that he's lending a hand to a NR hunter this year. I realize not everyone is in the postion to help a NR hunter but if you are, or have thought about it, I would urge you to lend a hand or even offer to take them to your spot. You can sort of lay down some rules as to which deer are off limits as I did and I'm sure 99.9% of hunters will resect the boundries.

Look at it this way. If your were planning a trip to the mountains for Elk or a trip to AK for moose, wouldn't it be nice to have a local friend help you with some planning, scouting, or even more.

What comes around goes around.

Look at it this way. If your were planning a trip to the mountains for Elk or a trip to AK for moose, wouldn't it be nice to have a local friend help you with some planning, scouting, or even more. What comes around goes around.

Well said, Moosehunter (actually your whole comment was). Unfortunately, I'm not the one Bowman is helping this year, abut he will be helping me next year, assuming I get drawn for 2011. I've had PM discussions with a few individuals on here who are interested in hunting AZ and I am more than happy to point them in the right directions, do some scouting, and, like you said, they check out, take them to some of my sweet spots (I've even offered to share my bonus points with Bowman before to help him get drawn; he's one of 2 people I'd do that for). As a NR, I fully support Iowa's regs and I don't complain about how IA has its regs set up for landowner, but then I grew up there and still have a bunch of friends and family there. Even after more than a decade in AZ, Iowa is still home to me. I'll gladly help anyone figure out the AZ regs and where to hunt for the reasons you mention. Its just fun to get out!

I've helped quite a few NR hunters out. Offer always stand with me as well, they need help getting a spot, I know of a few hot spots, I take them to the landowners house and they ask for permission.

So far, I've never had anyone turned down.

That's an awesome gesture and unbelievably refreshing. It's your type of attitude and approach that can sway a large portion of the NR membership into a better understanding of the Iowa deer hunting tradition and the resident fight to maintain a good herd. In the long run it could attract more NR support and strengthen the resident position on the deer regs.

I have helped quite a few as well regarding public land. One shot a 163 incher 2 years ago and just drew a tag this year again, so it should be a blast!!

Great post. I have a NR friend from Minnesota who is coming down this year to hunt with me. Met him on public ground turkey hunting in 2003. Hopefully he can connect with a good deer, but if not i'm sure he'll still have a great time.

being a non resident i have been helped out also by a member from here., met in 08 and he helped me get my deer out and eveything, seeing that i drew again this year its making it all the more exciting to come down this year. thanks bkslayr

As NR I don't mind the system, atl least I know when I do get a tag there will be some big bucks to hunt. Shureshot1, I saw those pics you posted a week or so ago and would love to hunt with you, just kidding, really I'm not kidding. LOL. I'm not looking for a place to hunt, but a place to stay, does anyone know a place to rent for a week near Mt. Ayr or bedford. I hate to have to stay in a hotel when bowhunting.

I enjoy the system cause I like seeing and shooting mature bucks and the system is why IA has them. Your gesture is what helps people get along better. I share my farm with a youth every year that gets drawn from Missouri Whitetails along with plenty of family to help continue the hunting tradition and it is very rewarding. Maybe it was a deer I could shoot that they get, but I don't mind sharing and enjoying the experiences. Too bad thats a dirty word to some.

I do want to say I also share my farms with 2 resident hunters in Iowa. It does work both ways. Over the years we have become good friends and help each other with varying chores. I love comin out there.

I do want to say I also share my farms with 2 resident hunters in Iowa. It does work both ways. Over the years we have become good friends and help each other with varying chores. I love comin out there.

It sure does work both ways. Had a kid come to my farm last year that had never shot a deer and he took a good 9 point which I was happy about. :drink2:

Got invited by his uncle to hunt the big woods up north and have a real deer camp type atmosphere so I could not be happier.

Yeah I agree it does go both ways as I had an offer to help some NR landowners with their place, although I wasn't able to hunt I appreciated the offer!

I also have helped a couple NR's myself, I host a certain buddy every year for our annual shed hunt as well as helped him secure or at least got him plat maps and the such to make his search easier and although I have been burnt once by an NR A-HOLE that turned into a Resident A-HOLE I will continue to offer to help all of those I can!

Chris

As NR I don't mind the system, atl least I know when I do get a tag there will be some big bucks to hunt. Shureshot1, I saw those pics you posted a week or so ago and would love to hunt with you, just kidding, really I'm not kidding. LOL. I'm not looking for a place to hunt, but a place to stay, does anyone know a place to rent for a week near Mt. Ayr or bedford. I hate to have to stay in a hotel when bowhunting.

In that area, I know of a couple old farm houses that you could rent for the week, problem is, a hotel would be much better in my opinion. If you need a place to skin and hang deer if you stay in a hotel, I can help you out there though.

I have a guy from texas coming to hunt with me this year.I have been down to his place 3 times hog hunting.He has never killed a buck with a bow.He is from iowa but never bowhunted until after he moved to texas.He said he just wants to kill a pope and young deer.He can shoot whatever he wants but im hoping he holds out the first few days for something a little bigger.hopefully his buddy draws a tag next year and he is going hunting with me also.

Sounds great, I do the same here in NW MO. I drew a bow tag for zone 4 this year and will be hunting south of creston anyone from around that area, I would like to pick your brain some?????????????

We have had a guy from AZ come back and gun hunt with us twice and it was a blast. He actually talked me out of an afternoon deer hunt to pheasant hunt for the first time ever and I had a blast.

Sounds great, I do the same here in NW MO. I drew a bow tag for zone 4 this year and will be hunting south of creston anyone from around that area, I would like to pick your brain some?????????????

Pick away, I live in creston and hunt south of here.

NR

Pick away, I live in creston and hunt south of here.

Nannyslayer: I'd like any feedback you can give me on the Mount Ayr/Grand River area. That is where my farm is, and I can only say that it should be a good farm as it has a nice mix of river bottom, tillable, switchgrass CRP and draws.

Didn't draw for archery this year, but I should next year...how good of area is it. Thanks.

Note: Neighbors 1-2 miles to the east are Outdoor Channel video guys and they shoot several nice bucks every year.

If your in the area I am thinking of, that is a hell of an area. Unless you have a substantal amount of ground, you probably won't hold all that many big bucks, but during the rut, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be plenty of shooters traveling through there.

Great post Perry. Being in the business allows me to meet a lot of NR hunters every year. I get asked all the time where the best public ground is. Although it all can be good up here at certain times of the year I tell the guys what I see and usually if they do some scouting and hunt right they'll kill a good deer.

Nothing beats seeing they're faces when they roll back in with a big ol buck in the back of the truck.:drink1:

Top Bottom