Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hen of the Woods mushrooms

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
The wife and I picked 14 of these mushrooms yesterday evening for a total of 60 pounds. I've had them before, but it has been about 15 years since. Anybody have any good recipes for them that has tried them? I hear they can bring good money at the farmers market, however, I don't have a license to sell.

1937500_10152760188629609_4757772260363184957_n.jpg

10645296_10152517665968801_3553692471659508515_n.jpg

I like to put them in soup and bread and fry when cooking fish. They also freeze well so i would clean and portion out and vacuum seal.

Thanks.. I cut up two of them last night and froze on cookie sheets to keep them from sticking together.. Ill have to get the foodsaver out tonight

Try this?

Clean- cut into small pieces and fry in butter. Then butterfly a chicken breast to make a pocket- mix cooked mushroom- mozzarella - thyme- garlic. Then either wrap with bacon and bake in the oven or soak it all in flower - then egg- then bread crumbs and bake until chicken is cooked thoroughly Either would be good I bet!

Very nice load. Very tasty. Like said they freeze pretty good. Likem fried in butter with some onions.Usually slice mine about a 1/4" slab.

fried in butter

Oh the three magic words that makes every man's heart melt! Either that, or "wrapped in bacon" or "stuffed with cheese". His heart might stop if you put them all together..."stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and fried in butter". Hmm...I'm hungry for a salad now.

Soak 1/2 lb of mushrooms in milk for 15 minutes.
Fry two strips of bacon. Eat the bacon and keep the grease in the pan.
Roll the mushrooms in flour mixed with salt and pepper.
Add about 4 tbs of butter to the pan with the bacon grease and heat till the butter is melted.
Add garlic if you like (my wife isn't a garlic fan so I have to skip this step)
Add the mushrooms and fry to the consistency you like.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom