Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Henned Up

I

iowabuck

Hello to all, well today we went out in the afternoon and could not get a single response. So after a couple hours we were checking the area out and low and behold we spot a couple gobblers and a hen. We called softly to them for 15-20 minutes and when we saw them heading the other direction we tried to cut them off. Well that didn't workout right. So my question to you guys is how do you try to get a gobbler thats already with a hen. ( The hen only responded once to our calls) Thanks all
grin.gif

Pray, pray very hard.
angel.gif
Either that or try to get ahead of them and ambush them. Calling to the hen and getting her mad enough so she'll come investigate is another way. If she calls, call back at her. Try to interrupt her if possible. Getting a boss tom from a hen is like getting a buck to leave a hot doe...damn hard.

When I know there is a hen with a tom, or a hen is close to one, I call extreamly aggressive! Cutting cutting anc cutting some more. Make it sound like your really eager. If that doesn't work, try purs and clucks to make feeding sounds!

jason

...I'm with Muddy on this one - pray!...I am going to toss this out there and let others comment on it...I have been told that when toms are henned up you shouldn't use decoys - especially hen decoys...I have been told that the (real) hens are more likely to lead a tom away from the fakes...whereas they are more likely to come in and investigate when they don't see the vocal hen...this year during 1st season I shot my tom when I did not have any decoys out (he was with several hens) while my dad had a group of birds with at least one tom circle around him once they spotted the decoys...coincidence or common happening - you tell me!?...

Top Bottom