Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hens...or???

Buckmaster14

For 6 mornings in a row... i have set up on 4 birds. Every morning they do the same thing. No gobbling on the roost, then 30 mins after day break they come around the side of the hill and fire up. They work the creek bottom, go up the side of the opposite hill into another field... gobble their heads off, go back in the woods, back down the hill, and back into the field they pitched down in. i bet the birds gobbled 40 times an hour! I would call to them, they would answer, early on, and answer good. Every now and then they would get closer, and go quiet, then the next time they gobbled they would be back where they came from heading the opposite way. At one point this morning i had all 4 of them gobbling just around a bend in the creek bottom, about 45 yards away. They went silent, then they were at the top of the hill in the field again.... what gives?

When they go quiet, so should you. They want you to come to them. If you play hard to get, they can't take it and will come in to investigate.

If they've done this that many times in a row, I'd be setting up somewhere else. Set up somewhere they go to naturally and let them come to you. Be silent and just wait for them to get into their routine.

I can't, thats the problem. Where i set up is the property line anyways. They all end up in a field beside of a house, like 40 yards from their front door, and they wont let anyone on their land, ive tried. If i get too close to the other property, my gun shot will start problems, and would probably get blamed for shooting on their property, which i wouldnt be, just close to it. I'm thinkin cross bow tomorrow morning...

Try gobbling back at them. Chased one for over an hour one time doing the same thing. Bought ran over my son when I gobbled at him. Have to try something different.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Try gobbling back at them. Chased one for over an hour one time doing the same thing. Bought ran over my son when I gobbled at him. Have to try something different.

I've tried it. I got the Hale Fire by knight and hale. came out this spring. ill do a yelp/gobble and they will fire back at me and keep on truckin.

And i am taking the Xbow tmorro morning. hopefully i can get where i need to be before they round the corner and start their routine.

Can you bust them off the roost the night before to push them farther onto your ground? Our best morning so far this year was after we bumped them off the roost the night before separating them from their hens so they were looking for them in the morning. It's risky but works out some times.

-}}}---------->

Can't do it. They roost on the other property, and loop onto mine after flying down.

Top Bottom