Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hey I'm no Dbltree, but here's a plot...

Daver

PMA Member
These are planted now to winter wheat which was broadcast over ground that had been disked only. I planted it in the rain in late August and relied on the rain to take the seed into the soil. It is what it is.

I will seed this to clover late this winter, that is my longer term plan. This is a picture from my prime south wind stand, I cleared this whole area out mostly by hand over the past 1 1/2 years, so I have a little sweat equity in this spot.
laugh.gif
It is small, but secluded. I did have a bulldozer clean out the remaining stumps this past Spring and then had a guy disk it for me right before I planted it. No fertilizer or lime, etc, has been added to this area yet.

I hunted it on opening night, when these pictures were taken, and had a little forky feeding contentedly in front of me for about 15 minutes. I can shoot all the way across this one, about 28 yards, and it is deliberately elongated in shape to encourage the deer to "feed through it" and pass my stand. I can be highly selective here and I have a very good in/out path so I can hunt this one easily. Mark it down... I will kill a big one here at some point!
grin.gif

165IMG_0073.JPG

165IMG_0074.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
I will kill a big one here at some point!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you will Dave! Looks like a good little honey hole for sure...nice job!
cool.gif

Nice looking plot Dave. I bet you will see alot of traffic there in the future. I have a little clover / chickory plot in my timber about the same size, but unfortunately it is tough to hunt directly over it. I se a ton of deer using it though, especially when the hunting pressure picks up.

Looking real good Daver. Keep the growth progress pics coming as well as your harvest photo.
smirk.gif

You really have a nice spot from the looks of it. A soil test can direct you as far as lime, chemicals, etc. that could really help growth. I can't tell for sure but a little more sweat equity feathering the edges might let in a little more sun and you could use the feathering to "direct" them the right way. It can only get better with some extra attention, feels good doesn't it?
OBTW- we can only dream to all be like Dbltree
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
but a little more sweat equity feathering the edges might let in a little more sun and you could use the feathering to "direct" them the right way. It can only get better with some extra attention, feels good doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pharmer - exactly my plans this winter, in addition to frost seeding clover too. But the one night I sat there overlooking this little spot I think I had a grin all evening long. I have not soil tested this area yet, but just judging by the looks of the soil, this appears to the best I have anywhere on my farm. To look at it, it is a rich, black soil v. the clay I have in so many other areas. This little "bottom" has never been tilled from what I can tell.

It's off to a good start this year, but it will get better still in future years. As I hunt other stands this Fall I will take other pictures sort of like this too. I am dying to hunt near the little pond surrounded by heavy brush/timber and wheat/turnips. I have a feeling something "big" could happen there this year! So far these south winds haven't allowed me to go there, but this weekend should be different.

[ QUOTE ]
we can only dream to all be like Dbltree
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean old, grey and fat?
smirk.gif

Doggone it Dave...I'm going to have to come up with a secret "weapon"...or the deer are all gonna be down at your place!
grin.gif

Paul - I say we build an underground tunnel between my place and yours for the deer to travel back and forth in. That way no one else can get them in between us!
grin.gif

Say, I need you to take a long, slow drive through your farm Saturday afternoon say about 4:30P. You know, check out all of your food plots and get out take some pictures, etc. Kind of nudge them north if you would, I would sure appreciate it. It is for an "experiment" that I am conducting, yeah, an experiment.
grin.gif
grin.gif
I'll let you kow if anything big turns up!

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of nudge them north if you would, I would sure appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to help you out Dave...but did I mention that deer like rye muccchhhh better then wheat?
evil.gif
evil.gif

Oct1ryenpeas.jpg

Top Bottom