Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

I feel confident if Illinois treated Iowa residents that owned land in Illinois the same way Iowa treats Illinois residents that own land in Iowa there would be controversy.As with most issues if it doesnt affect a person its not an issue!

Guess what, this topic does not effect me personally at all. Except I might be able to grab a few extra commission checks if I supported creating a land run. I will alway have a place to hunt, I am fighting for IOWA. I hope every member of this site gets fired up and make this their top passion as long as their are narrow minded folks who think they should tread on IOWA. FOI FOI FOI

Well I've expressed my thoughts and for now I will fade again into the background. I hope my posts will stimulate discussion and I feel ultimately my predictions will come to pass and a bill will pass. For what's it's worth I think this is a great forum and grateful that there are guys like me who just love to hunt and fish. And remember I'll be watching ......

Gas Pipe fades into the sunset.......................

Guess what, this topic does not effect me personally at all. Except I might be able to grab a few extra commission checks if I supported creating a land run. I will alway have a place to hunt, I am fighting for IOWA. I hope every member of this site gets fired up and make this their top passion as long as their are narrow minded folks who think they should tread on IOWA. FOI FOI FOI
I dont think owning property and wanting to hunt on it is treading on anyone or anything.My circle of friends is not made up of people who have the funds to go and buy land around the world to deer hunt.Maybe as a realtor you have such a list .The land rush where I live here in central Illinois is for the $8000 tillable land that the real investors are after and not the rough ground in small parcels the local boys try to buy.The really wealthy boys everyone fears will always be able hunt.Your outfitters are a much larger threat than nrlo's and that is a fact!

I dont think owning property and wanting to hunt on it is treading on anyone or anything.My circle of friends is not made up of people who have the funds to go and buy land around the world to deer hunt.Maybe as a realtor you have such a list .The land rush where I live here in central Illinois is for the $8000 tillable land that the real investors are after and not the rough ground in small parcels the local boys try to buy.The really wealthy boys everyone fears will always be able hunt.Your outfitters are a much larger threat than nrlo's and that is a fact!

No such a list for me. I am only stating it as viewed by the Voters of Iowa. The direction of the whole hunting industry does make it dificult. My only goal is to encourage the fight against any legislation getting pasted that speeds or feeds the negative process. Like I said, I wish it was just as simple as guys wanting to hunt. It is not.

No such a list for me. I am only stating it as viewed by the Voters of Iowa. The direction of the whole hunting industry does make it dificult. My only goal is to encourage the fight against any legislation getting pasted that speeds or feeds the negative process. Like I said, I wish it was just as simple as guys wanting to hunt. It is not.
I totally agree, hunting is not about the hunt or being in the woods or watching all the interactions in the woods anymore for alot of people.It still is for me.I can not speak for what other people want or expect from there property but I dont feel I owe anyone an apology for wanting to utilize mine .

Land use and ownership right are not the issue. The State owned Natural Resource is. Do try and make them the Kings deer. The ownership rights argument is BS.

No you are right, there are no ownership rights involved here:rolleyes:...

Again what I would ask is that all be honest with themselves at the end of the day and realize the true meaning of the resentment is what we teach our kids to not be ...selfish.

Apples and oranges by far...... The rules for NR fishing cannot be compared to the ones for hunting. But OK lets say you are a NR land owner, and you have a pond on your ground. The DNR is not going to stop you from legaly fising it as the pond and the fish in it are yours. The deer in the state however, whether on your ground or not belong to the state and the people of the state.
Speaking of selfish, I would say the small group of NRLO's or NR that are crying foul on the rules are the selfish ones. This small group thinks they have more rights than the large group of residents who do not want the change.

I totally agree, hunting is not about the hunt or being in the woods or watching all the interactions in the woods anymore for alot of people.It still is for me.I can not speak for what other people want or expect from there property but I dont feel I owe anyone an apology for wanting to utilize mine .

You are correct you owe nobody an apology. This is America and you have the right to act any way see fit, with in the law. I want to keep things fired up to stand against you. It is what I believe is right for the residence of Iowa. It is a fight for our traditions and values. As fired up as I get I may need to apologize to some of you. Fight your fight and we'll fight ours. Alot of people want to continue to enjoy the hunt. Nothing personal but I truely believe your position on this is selfish and self serving and I am not changing my mind. Nobody can call me self centered on this because I am not fighting for anything that I personally will gain from. As I stated I could truely loose here. What ever you need to say to make you feel good about your postion.

Thank you ... for making my point . If you are logical and I assume you are you would conclude that your support for allowing NR's the right to fish on their own land would be a gateway to allowing hunting after all both are legitimate uses of one' s property as long as laws are abided by. What makes a deer more special than a bass? Again what I would ask is that all be honest with themselves at the end of the day and realize the true meaning of the resentment is what we teach our kids to not be ...selfish.
First you would need a stocked stream or large pond on your land to catch that bass. Certainly many properties in Iowa are sold with neither. I've yet to see a fish walk across a field to get to a stream or lake; so i am really having a hard time understanding your logic.

Last edited:
I want to ask the NR's what makes you and others want to come and buy land in Iowa? Why not buy a chunk in your home state and improve it and manage that property?..........Most likely it is because in Iowa "theres big bucks everywhere!" Not really, like several have said, the majority of the state is not good deer habitat and if the gates are opened to give NR's R rights there simply isn't that much space. Ask nearly any Iowa resident that doesn't already own his own land or know someone that does(friend or family) how difficult it is to get permission to hunt. And, like many others have mentioned opening the gates will make way for outfitters, which is a bunch of BS.
The reason Iowa has such quality hunting is because of the way the system is now, change it and the quality of hunting in Iowa will turn into the likes of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc.
Hunting in Iowa is a privelage of being an IOWAN.

One of the main things I find rather disturbing about this whole discussion is that many on both sides, but more on the NR side, seem to equate the right to hunt their land every year to mean hunting is not hunting if they are not able to kill a buck every year. Hunting is NOT ABOUT HARVESTING HORNS!!!:thrwrck: As I have stated many times over a NRLO can HUNT their land every year for every legal animal with the proper licenses except for an antlered deer. So why does this silly line of reasoning continue to pop up? Why is that so hard to understand or grasp?

For the Gaspipe example about fishing your own pond, I have a viable suggestion. Since your fish population is totally contained within the boundaries of your pond or lake, why don't you totally contain and maintain and stock you own deer preserve. You could get it licensed by putting up a high fence and meeting all the current State regulations regarding these types of operations, which includes either removing all the currently State owned deer, which are what brought you to Iowa in the first place, or paying the State of Iowa for them before closing up the fence, and then stocking with the superior animals that you want there. Guess what, then you and all your friends from other states could hunt what ever you want each and every year and almost any time you want with in the confines of YOUR OWN LAND!!:moon: After all isn't that all you really want any way as you have stated over and over, to be able to HUNT your own land. Sounds like the perfect solution to me.:way:

I just hate it when I get wound up and then forget things! Last year there were nearly 400,000 licenses sold and only 127,000 deer harvested, but only 46,000 of those were antlered deer . That is not trophy antlered deer, just any deer with more than just spikes for antlers. That number is as low as it has been since the 1980's when there weren't even any NR deer hunters allowed. I predict that this fall those numbers will continue to reduce drastically and that the total antlered deer harvest will be far less than 40,000 or less than 10 percent of the total licenses holders will successfully harvest any kind of a deer with horns. It seems to me we will soon have little or nothing to fight over!:confused:

I just hate it when I get wound up and then forget things! Last year there were nearly 400,000 licenses sold and only 127,000 deer harvested, but only 46,000 of those were antlered deer . That is not trophy antlered deer, just any deer with more than just spikes for antlers. That number is as low as it has been since the 1980's when there weren't even any NR deer hunters allowed. I predict that this fall those numbers will continue to reduce drastically and that the total antlered deer harvest will be far less than 40,000 or less than 10 percent of the total licenses holders will successfully harvest any kind of a deer with horns. It seems to me we will soon have little or nothing to fight over!:confused:

I agree, with the way things are going(the extra antlerless seasons, antlerless quotas, NR's) there won't be a whole lot to argure over. The only people that will be harvesting the big bucks that draw the NR's to this state is the landowners (R and NR) that own larger parcels of land.

I am glad you are admiting that noboby is infringing on your private property rights. Now we have that clear. Go enjoy your kingdom.

Ironwood: The sky is not falling, you'll have good deer hunting in Iowa regardless, December gun season is 90% of the battle, this other stuff is just access issues.

Last edited:
You are correct you owe nobody an apology. This is America and you have the right to act any way see fit, with in the law. I want to keep things fired up to stand against you. It is what I believe is right for the residence of Iowa. It is a fight for our traditions and values. As fired up as I get I may need to apologize to some of you. Fight your fight and we'll fight ours. Alot of people want to continue to enjoy the hunt. Nothing personal but I truely believe your position on this is selfish and self serving and I am not changing my mind. Nobody can call me self centered on this because I am not fighting for anything that I personally will gain from. As I stated I could truely loose here. What ever you need to say to make you feel good about your postion.
As an American citizen with legal rights I do feel compelled to voice my opinion about issues that affect me.I dont understand how that makes me selfish.You would not stand by and let someone tell you that you couldnt hunt your own property either.If Illinois had the same rule for Iowa residents owning land in Illinois I could better accept it. The number of tags will always be controlled no matter what legislation is passed.Selling property you should know that everyone that buys land is not wealthy nor does everyone hunt that buys land.I guess my position is that I am proud to have been able to buy some land .When you are in your 40's a tag every couple years may not seen too bad but when you are in your 60's it takes on a whole new meaning.

this whole argument is dumb.. if you want to hunt here every year.. move here. otherwise don't buy the land knowing what the law is. its really simple.

this whole argument is dumb.. if you want to hunt here every year.. move here. otherwise don't buy the land knowing what the law is. its really simple.
Probably wouldnt sound so dumb if you owned land that you couldnt hunt and had to be drawn from lottery with other nr that did not own any land and they had the same odds and then be charged $500.

I agree. Moving there would be the best thing to do to guarantee a bow tag every year! I just want to make sure that everyone understands that as a NR you can hunt there almost every year, if you chose to hunt with the shotgun or muzzle loader! My friend who lives in Iowa and owns property in zone 5 says that every time that he has had a friend apply for zone 5 1st gun season, they have gotten a tag! I will be applying this month for a NR zone 3 Late Muzzle loading season tag. I will be hunting another friend’s property. I am told that I should get a tag no problem! So my point is that you can hunt Iowa every year as a NR if you chose the shotgun our muzzleloader.

Probably wouldnt sound so dumb if you owned land that you couldnt hunt and had to be drawn from lottery with other nr that did not own any land and they had the same odds and then be charged $500.
I believe it has been brought up several times that nrlo's can hunt every year. If you want horns every year; hunt the state you live in.

Top Bottom