Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hickory woodlot

Well met the forester this morning and started marking trees for a 9 acre timber management deal in a heavy hickory timber. I know people have said cut cut cut but man I was shocked at the number of trees we marked. Really informative stuff working with him. Hopefully get started cutting in the next day or two.
You will learn a lot just following the forester around.

Well met the forester this morning and started marking trees for a 9 acre timber management deal in a heavy hickory timber. I know people have said cut cut cut but man I was shocked at the number of trees we marked. Really informative stuff working with him. Hopefully get started cutting in the next day or two.
So this is in Timber reserve and they are paying you to do the work?

It's a timber management program I applied for. It is not in a timber reserve. There are other similar programs like reap and csp that are more detailed. I just did a simple timber management only. Forester came out walked property came up with a detailed plan breaking down the farm and what he wanted done. I picked the area and then filled out the necessary hoops. If you get it approved he comes back marked the trees and you can either hire the work done or do it yourself. Once done I will get my cost share.

It's a timber management program I applied for. It is not in a timber reserve. There are other similar programs like reap and csp that are more detailed. I just did a simple timber management only. Forester came out walked property came up with a detailed plan breaking down the farm and what he wanted done. I picked the area and then filled out the necessary hoops. If you get it approved he comes back marked the trees and you can either hire the work done or do it yourself. Once done I will get my cost share.
EQIP?

Finished my cutting today after another 5 hours on the saw. I did little over 8 acres in approximately 15 hours. What was once a relatively clean open hickory timber floor is now littered with fallen trees and what seemed like another 1000 girdled. Will be interesting so see what it looks like this summer. Hopefully makes a big difference. Probably should have taken before and after pictures. Forester was really pushing to do a timber burn next winter so I guess we will see. I am applying to do another area to cut for next winter if this seems to go well.

Finished my cutting today after another 5 hours on the saw. I did little over 8 acres in approximately 15 hours. What was once a relatively clean open hickory timber floor is now littered with fallen trees and what seemed like another 1000 girdled. Will be interesting so see what it looks like this summer. Hopefully makes a big difference. Probably should have taken before and after pictures. Forester was really pushing to do a timber burn next winter so I guess we will see. I am applying to do another area to cut for next winter if this seems to go well.
Post up a pic

Finally remembered to get some pics, small area anyway. Hard to see what’s girdled and isn’t. Have a video that shows a little better but can’t get it to post.

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6664.jpeg
    IMG_6664.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6663.jpeg
    IMG_6663.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6662.jpeg
    IMG_6662.jpeg