Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

High shot, help

J

justP65H

In a new stand tonight, long story short a nice 130s wide eight comes by my stand and gives me no shot, I look back and here comes this bruiser behind him, must have chased him out of his bedroom. Anyway the bruiser takes the right trail and stops 25 yrds in front of me. Hardly quartering to maybe a few degrees, Drew back and let fly at 25 yds. I don't know if I got a twig deflection, string jump, or what but the shot hit high. He lets out the loudest buck "roar" "growl" you can believe. Really truth told it kind of freaked me out for a second, never heard anything like that. Shot didn't pass through. Placement is center mass but very high, run tail down into a deep ravine. After waiting for an hour, I got down and investigated. No blood, went into town for dinner and came back 3 hrs. after the shot. Looked around in the dark for blood sign on last trail into timber. Went in about 50 yards, still no arrow or blood. Backed out and will go back in the morning. Incidently shot him with a Rage 2blade. Has packed a huge wallop on the does the year so far, but he is a brute. HELP, oh yeah that tracking dog I read about in another post would sure be nice- for pheasant hunting that is. Surely not a spine shot, but one/two lung?? INSIGHTS PLEASE.

all you can hope for is that you hit the top of the lungs or maybe caught some of the liver.... i shot one high earlier this year the same way and never found him.... but i did see him 3 weeks later and he seemed to be fine because i shot him again but this time i got him, double lung. these animals are really tough and stuff happens. there is 2 things you can hope for.... 1. you caught the top of his lungs and youll find him dead tomorrow 2. you hit him in his void area and he'll live for another day. good luck tomorrow and i hope you find him.... let us know

Great job of backing out and waiting till morning light! I know that is hard to do. The growl is definatly interesting, sounds promising though!!!

after an exhausting 5 hr search, no buck- no arrow- no blood. Really sucks given that this would have been my best ever. 150s -9 with all sorts of trash. Really disappointed in myself. I practice out to 65 yards, with respectable groups. 40 and in is usually a chip shot. Maybe buck fever- who knows. Killed a good 13pt that didn't score all that well last year. It was the first buck I drew back on this year, so maybe back to the "block".

Top Bottom