Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

High starch or high oil corn????

S

S.CENTRAL IOWA BUCK

A friend of mine is letting me have a 7 acre bottom to use as a food plot ,next to a creek they rotate crop on it now but hard to get too so he was nice enough to let me use it.. i think im going to plant imperial clover on the edges and would like to plant corn in the middle dont know if i should use high starch or high oil corn ? can anybody tell me what they have had better luck at???

I have planted food plots similar to the size you are talking about. I would put the plots in some sort of configuration lengthwise in the field, like 1/2 corn, and 1/2 clover. I have found that the longer and the food plot , the more deer use it because the amount of edge available. The more edge the more they use it. Also make the rows of corn go in the direction they travel, this is just another to have deer like the food plot even more.

thanks Bowhunt! what do you use for seed corn?

Seed corn, I have always gotten year old corn from some seed corn dealers around here. I have had great luck with them. I have gotten stuff mostly from Northrup King. They say it has a lower germintation rate. But I did not seem to see it in the food plots.

Just contact a local chapter of pheasent forever, soil conservationist, or National wild turkey federation. They can get it all lined up for ya.

I get it for free, because I would rather spend money on hunts and gear than corn.

Hope that helps

Top Bottom