Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hitting the scrapes hard

Booner

Have pictures of this deer from last year and this summer however he completely dissappeared off my farm mid-late summer. This is the first picture I've had of him since July. I made this scrape last week with hopes of it turning into a community scrape. My idea seemed to be working, I've had 6 different bucks take interest with 3 smaller ones squat right in front of the camera in the last week alone. When I made the scrape it was approx 4ft wide and now there are 3 of them that big. Only problem is all the mature boys are checking them early in the AM to late late at night :thrwrck:.

Any ideas on age of this guy, last year I was thinking he was only a 2.5 which this yr he'd be 3.5 but the more I look at him now I'm thinking he's 4.5 around 150's gross?

29zas8p.jpg

I'd put him between 3.5 and 4.5. Hard to tell from that photo. He'll hit 150 gross. Pretty good beam length, decent height carried through his 4's and decent mass.

Here one from last year, not the best picture but gives you an idea of body size, etc. I still think based on this picture and the one above he is only 3.5..........but will be very very hard to pass.

15gaah.jpg

Definately only 3.5....he put on alot of inches. If he was to make it one more year he could turn into a booner or close. Great buck with tons of potential, but I know passing a 150 is aweful hard.

Whether 3.5, 4.5 or whatever, you're right...he'd be damn tough to let walk :thrwrck:

NWBuck

Good looking deer josh I'm thinking he is a 4.5 year old but he is 3.5 look out you will have a booner walkin around. I thing he will go between 155 and 165. I got 152 gross with conservative scoring

What did you use to make the scrape? I have been looking into using some scent drippers but have never done it so curious what you used.

Quality buck right there Josh. Good luck with your decision and hopefully you get a chance to have to make your choice!

What did you use to make the scrape? I have been looking into using some scent drippers but have never done it so curious what you used.

I used some Mrs. Doe Pee scrape starter, Brett from Jaxs outdoors in Ames has been trying to sell this stuff to me all fall and I finally broke down and bought some. Its like 10 bucks for a small amount. What I did was took a concrete rake and exposed a 4ft by 2ft piece of pair earth along converging trails leading into a corn field. I knew this area was not only a pinch point but were many mature deer (from last yr) felt comfortable entering the field. I strategically place my mock scrape right off this trail. I looked for a tree that would serve both as a rubbing/licking tree but also perfect area for a scrape (open area with no sapling or brush). After I completed the scrape I poured the entire bottle on the scrape. After I did this I then proceeded to put my own urine on the scrape. To finish it off i took the rake and mixed everything in. My goal from the scrape starter along with my urine was for smaller bucks to get curious and then in return put there scent on the scent. My plan worked and smaller bucks including yearling buttons were taking notice of it. They were peeing on it like crazy. After a couple of days of them using it every time they entered the field to field it was like the bigger deer 2.5 yrs old and up were starting to take notice in it as well. And before I knew it, in a weeks time I had 6-7 different bucks using it. What shocked me was one buck I had good history with last year that never showed himself during date light hours and seemed to be for the most part camera shy has taken interest in my scrape as well. He is mature at least 5.5 based on body features and the fact his rack seems to be getting smaller each year. This year even as early as it is, I've had way more success just putting in one scrape but placing it in a killer spot.

I think you're right on. 2.5 last year, makes him 3 this year, 150's gross. One more year he'll be a giant!

Top Bottom