Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hog Hunt - Tips?

SWIADEERHNTR

Come 'on Next Season....
Well, since I've gotten hooked on this whole bow hunting thing about 4 years ago, I've only been chasing whitetail which I've learned (often the hard way) is quite a challenge. Some friends and I are always looking for something to do in that "down" time of year of January/Feb. where it's often a little too soon to shed hunt, and all the fishin' boats are put away for the winter still.

So, we've booked a hog hunt in Oklahoma with an outfitter. It should be great! The weather there is a lot warmer than here on average and we get to pull out the 'ol bow in late January!

I have zero experience with wild boar so I was wondering if you guys had any tips or advice for me. I've been checking out pictures of their anatomy as the vitals aren't quite in the same location as a deer. Any lessons learned on things to do or not do? Certain gear that would be useful?

Thanks again!

Our first year hunting Hogs we walked away amazed at their sense of smell. Their vision is not too hot and their hearing doesn't seem to be any better than yours or mine. Their sense of smell, however, was extremely impressive. Go totally scent free, just as you would for whitetail.

As for tactics, it depends on what they allow. We hunted free range in Texas and they wanted them exterminated. You could hunt at night, with bows, guns, handgrenades:), whatever. Since our lodging was nothing better than an old trailer, the camp experience was not what we were there for. Our second year we set up the hunt for a full moon and rigged our bows with finger trigger red light set ups which worked well. We mostly hunted out of treestands afternoons into the night with some blinds mixed in. Some daytime stalks were done and are very doable with their poor vision. If your camp is nice and is part of your hunting experience, then night hunts might not be for you (or even allowed).

We also used a product called "Hog Wild" (if I remember correctly), which smelled like blue Koolaid, and used corn trails to lead them to the stands. All of this seemed to work. They really cause some damage making it easier to justify using tactics that you might not use for any other species. We also found that they were very weary around the pre sent stands and feeders. Our success sky rocketed when we set up portables on trails leading to or from the pre set stands and again we used corn trails from the main area to our stands.

Lastly, use a tough broadhead and focus on quartering away shots to eliminate the shoulder blade impacts. Broadside is good but DO NOT take quartering to shots as their shoulder blades are like tank armor.

Good luck, hope some of this helps.:way:

Last edited:
It all depends on if you are going to a high fenced area or free ranging... If you are hunting high fence, dont stress over it to much! Most of the times the trap the pigs and let them in the high fence area a few days before you get there. This makes them pretty wiry and they move well. If it is free ranging...... GOOD LUCK!!! Most pigs are nocturnal and are never seen, hunting them at night will be your best bet.

Thanks for the info guys! I was going to use some Muzzy MX-3 fixed blade broadheads that I have from deer hunting. Hopefully those fall into you "tough broadhead" category :)

That's great to know that they have that good of a nose on them! I'll have to scent down and check into that "HOG WILD" stuff you used. Thanks again for the info!

It all depends on if you are going to a high fenced area or free ranging... If you are hunting high fence, dont stress over it to much! Most of the times the trap the pigs and let them in the high fence area a few days before you get there. This makes them pretty wiry and they move well. If it is free ranging...... GOOD LUCK!!! Most pigs are nocturnal and are never seen, hunting them at night will be your best bet.

Yep back in college night time was the best for hunting them! :)

Top Bottom