Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Holy ---- buck!

chipterp

PMA Member
Had an unforgettable experience last night. I tagged out Wednesday and already had a babysitter for Friday because my wife had a work get together to attend.
So I went with my mom for an evening hunt from the redneck blind over the winter wheat and brassicas.
Now my mom has been trying to get a deer for many years and always went with us when we used to party hunt shotgun season. She had some opportunities over the years but just didn't quite get it done. She was always a trooper out there in the cold helping us push deer.
She always just enjoyed going out and watching the deer during bow season, but due to shoulder problems she could never actually draw a bow. Then two years ago she got a crossbow permit and she has been out there with us ever since.
Now she always said she isn't just going to shoot a buck if it wasn't going on the wall. And she has let many smaller ones walk and probably one last year that any one of us would have shot.
We got into the stand around 1:30 and had some does come out right away. We kept seeing deer way down the "pipeline" as we refer to the lane cleared where a gas line goes through the timber. Including a real big heavy horned eight that walked across. It felt as if again we were in the wrong spot. But it was still early and we had a few does and a smaller buck filter out into the field in front of us. It was about an hour into the hunt when she suddenly said "buck,big buck"!!
I couldn't see it and when she leaned forward so I could the first words out of my mouth were "Holy Sh--".
Now it's hard to move in the blind without getting seen with all the windows but he was quartered away so I quietly opened the window and reached for the towel she rests the crossbow on to shoot. I was standing there shaking and she looked at me and said "you need to calm down" :) I didn't get a chance to get the video camera out because it happened so fast and I wasn't going to risk not getting a shot. I grabbed the rangefinder and ranged him right at 27 yards. We needed him to turn broadside if he would. After about a minute he started to turn and walk the other way and stopped once again quartering the opposite way. I told her to go ahead and take the shot. It took her a few seconds to squeeze the trigger and when she shot I thought I saw the arrow hit back aways and he started to limp away. We both had a sick feeling but after he made it 30 yards he stopped and laid down with his head up. We couldn't get another shot because he was blocked. And just watched him for the next couple minutes as he laid his head down and didn't bring it back up. We were going nuts in the blind, me maybe just a little more than her. What an unforgettable awesome experience.
She doesn't have an acct on here but is on all the time reading the threads. we always chat about what's on IW.

Congrats to my mom what an awesome first deer!!!

Beauty right there. That's awesome you take your mom. Love how you were more rattled, that would be me too. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Top Bottom